440 final drives

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Magoo1
420 crawler
420 crawler

440 final drives

Post by Magoo1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:51 am

Help, does everything connect to the finals?The four bolts that are on the front that mount the bar clamp-does the bar clamp need to move foreward a small amount?

Also on top of the bar clamp, it has two bolts and what looks like a Dowel pin that mounts a brace for the blade. Is this a Dowel pin, it appears to be round and I really can't tell from looking at the parts book.

Will I be better off to go ahead and remove the track frame? Where do you support the machine when you remove both back clamps.

Thanks for any help. (Manuel on the Way)

Magoo

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:09 am

Are you trying to remove the final drives or what else?
Lavoy

Magoo1
420 crawler
420 crawler

440 Final drives

Post by Magoo1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Lavoy, I only wanted to remove the finals, so many things are in the way. I need to rework the tracks, but one thing at a time.

Thanks

Magoo

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:36 am

To remove the finals, you need to remove the four bolts that hold each final to the cross-bar bracket. Hopefully you have more luck with these bolts than I did. :shock: I would also remove anything else that is "in the way" such as fenders, hydraulics, sprockets, etc. I did not remove the actual cross-bar brackets from the cross-bar (the top bolts you refer to). Any rear weight support brackets, draw bar, etc. need to be removed if you have them on your machine. Check the service manual on final drive removal. I strongly suggest you make the final drive hoist ring attachment shown in the manual and then follow the manual closely regarding how to remove the finals. You can easily damage the steering clutch throw-out bearing tube if you do not remove them correctly. Also, the final drives are quite heavy, you need a hoist! Don't forget the two bolts that are under the machine by the final drive fill plug!!

Another helpful hint is if you want to remove both finals at the same time, you need to put a jack under the rear of the transmission and under the front of the grill. The transmission can either drop or raise once the two finals are no longer attached to the rear cross-bar. I would work one side at a time since getting everything to line back up when both finals are off the machine can be a problem (see my previous posts).

Have fun and take your time.

Magoo1
420 crawler
420 crawler

440 Finals

Post by Magoo1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:47 am

Thanks for the help, manual got here and things went faster. Its a mess, machine sat in a " Bog" for some time and previous work is very poor. I will need steet plates and fiber disks in both sides. A piece of exhaust pipe is being used for the tube the throw out bearing slides on. On the left, bolt to adjust the throw out bearing is on the bottom so you can't get to it.
But I am making progress, I can start cleaning up and getting the parts list together.

Thanks Magoo1