Reverser on 420 crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ilog4u2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Reverser on 420 crawler

Post by ilog4u2 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:23 pm

I recently purchased a 420 crawler that I was hoping to be able to use in my business cutting cedar. With it being a mild winter it never really did freeze up so it will probably be next year, but I have this "wreck" of a crawler that needs lots a love.I really know next to nothing about these machines and the seller was less than forthcoming .... One of my problems is gear lube dripping out of the clutch pedal shaft area. Today I split the trans off and to my surprise it has a reverser. I did break the inner shifter shaft bracket, I didn't realize because it had no lever, so a previous owner had abandoned it. It shifted into all gears including reverse. The gear lube seems to be leaking out of the propeller shaft seal and maybe from where the reverser bolts on to the case. I guess my question is should I seal it up and put it back together or search for a lever and get the reverser working again? Are these fairly trouble free or a pain? Please help this newbie.🙂 I will try to post pictures of what I got,. Thanks to all
Blessed

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi,

The description sounds like the original gear reverser, which would have had the lever on the right hand side of the dash.

Not the later differential style reverser, which replaces the center frame and uses a separate bellhousing to boot. They had the lever to the left of the dash.

In use, the gear reverser tends to be a bit balky to shift from forward to reverse. Plus, I never thought of them as being a good match for a crawler beyond the basic 3- and 4-roller machines. But I want to see what Lavoy thinks as he must have been around more gear reversers than I have.

Obviously, Deere didn't think so either because they did replace the gear style with the differential one during the production of the 420.

I suspect someone once decided to just leave yours in forward and pop off the lever and just use the main trans to back up.

But, the unit would be worth saving even should you also decide to not make much use of it.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:13 pm

I recommend servicing the reverser and putting it back to use. I bought my first 420C when I was 16yo. I cut my teeth, so to speak on a gear driver reverser. I think they are much better than shifting into reverse. They are susceptible to wear and miss use. As with any machine of age, go slow, take your time, come to a complete stop before shifting the reverser.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:19 pm

As a general rule, I don't own crawlers without reversers if they could have had one when new. For what I like to use them for, I just simply won't use one without it.
As to fragility or problems with the reverser, there are undoubtedly some things that could have been designed better. But, that being said, my overall opinion is that the lions share of reverser problems were in some fashion caused by the loose nut on the seat, period. When maintained and operated correctly they are virtually trouble free.
In my opinion, I would pull the reverser, rebuild it, check every other nearby part while you are in there, and put it back together. You may find that a previous owner simply removed the lever with no operating problems with the reverser, he just heard all of the unfounded rumors that they are junk and defeat them.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

ilog4u2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ilog4u2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Thank you for the responses... That's exactly what I wanted/ needed to hear. I do have a manual but I don't know what my serial number is. Tag is gone. I need to keep reminding myself to follow the manual step by step. It all makes sense AFTER its torn apart and things get broken😂
Blessed

Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Bret4207 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:51 am

Lavoy, I thought the older reverser parts were NLA?
40C, 420C, 1010C-L-BH, Cat D4

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:58 am

Depends on what you are looking for. I stock most of the bearings and seals, gaskets, etc. If you have bad internals, then used is only answer, but I have some of them as well.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:50 am

Hi,

You have stock of the parts for the older Gear Reverser as well as the Differential style? I had been thinking those parts are harder to come by for a long time.

This thought begs another question: how many 420s were equipped with the Gear style, anyway? I have not seen all that many compared to the number of Differential style. But, then, I haven't hardly had any machines compared to what Lavoy has. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:12 pm

All of the Phase 1, and phase 2 420's could have had the gear type, so 12,000 or so possibilities there. Phase 3 420 did not get the clutch type reverser til 131,309 so about 6000 serial numbers, but spread between wheel and crawler. Only a little over 2200 Phase 3 crawlers built, so guessing a 1000 or so could have had gear type yet.
I don't have a lot of hard parts, but bearings, seals, bushings, gaskets and such are no problem.
Lavoy

ilog4u2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ilog4u2 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:36 pm

I was able to take apart the reverser today and it appears to me to be in very good shape and seems to be all there. The only exception was one of the thrust washers looks dished out, I even think it may be made that way. Not sure. It is one that has a notch cut out held in place with a small roll pin. Will be ordering new seals and gasket soon to get it dried up and back together.
Blessed

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:22 pm

No, they should be perfectly flat, if not, it is ruined. Just a word of advice, if you have a gear type reverser apart, you replace all the bearings.
Lavoy