Detroit Diesel two stroke oil

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Detroit Diesel two stroke oil

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:32 pm

I know this has been discussed at length, but below is a link explaining why you run ONLY a straight weight low ash oil in a two stroke Detroit. I had lost this info for a while, just found it again.
Lavoy

http://www.tejascoach.com/ddcoil.html
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Detroit Diesel two stroke oil

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Hey thanks for the information! My skidder has a 471 Detroit (2 stroke) and I put whatever engine oil is on sale in the thing. Part of that is that it is a Detroit, and while I like those engines (I am an old railroader/tugboat engineer which used Detroit's almost exclusively), there is no changing the oil in them, I do that every day with a fresh quart of oil! These things leak oil!

I do have a question though, when is oil pressure too high? My 350D bulldozer always had 60 PSI engine oil pressure, but after changing the oil, I am running 80 PSI for oil pressure. It still shows it is in the green, but I have never seen an engine run this much PSI.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

JWB Contracting
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm thinking you have a 453 in that Clark skidder, you might want to check. 53 series is smaller bore but higher rpms than the 71.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 350C Crawler Dozer with 3pt Hitch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer with Winch
John Deere 430U Tractor (2)
John Deere 435 Tractor
Oliver 1900 Tractor

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:34 am

It is not a function of leaking, changing, or replacing. Anything but the recommended oil for a two stroke will result in reduced life expectancy and/or damage. For example, if I gave you a barrel of hyd oil for free, you wouldn't run it in your 350 engine just because it is free. Whatever money you save is going to be eaten up by the cost of rebuilding a damaged engine due to running the wrong oil. We had a local guy that did like you in a 6V92 turbo many many years ago. Seems to me the rebuild cost him $12000 because he did not run the right oil for the two stroke. Delo 100 is not that much more expensive.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi,

Remember, only half of any container is actually oil. The other half is made up of additives which are specific to the application.

Get the wrong additives, and you have trouble.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Have: 1958 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350 & Terratrac GT-25
Also Have: 1950 M, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

CuttingEdge
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:57 pm

JWB Contracting wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:31 pm
I'm thinking you have a 453 in that Clark skidder, you might want to check. 53 series is smaller bore but higher rpms than the 71.
You are right, I got my engines mixed up. It originally came with a 353 Detroit, but swapped it out for a 453 for a bit more power. Thanks for the correction, I was not thinking...
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:05 pm
Hi,

Remember, only half of any container is actually oil. The other half is made up of additives which are specific to the application.

Get the wrong additives, and you have trouble.

Stan
Maybe, maybe not...

For some applications oil changes are quite silly. Like new cars, it is absolutely silly to change the oil in them if you do not plan to keep them past 100,000 miles. If you do the math, for oil changes every 3,000 miles at $15 an oil change, that is a cost of $500. That is money you will never recover on your resale value. But the chances of the engine blowing up is very low. So a person should just check the oil, adding what is lost until they can trade it in, pocketing the $500. I know long term it is not good for the engine, but I have no plans on keeping it long term...

Another application this does not work is bar and chain oil for chainsaws. I use any oil I can, mostly used oil or hydraulic oil...anything that is free and cheap because bar and chain oil here is $10 per gallon. I use about 1/4 of a gallon per day, so in 4 days of logging, I would use $10 worth of bar and chain oil. Fooie with that!! My bar only costs $40 so even if I went through a bar every 11 days, it would be cheaper than buying bar and chain oil. But it doesn't. I can go a month or two before it is shot. Every day past 10 days I am saving money by using cheap oil, and it is not like bar and chain oil prevents wear, it just extends the life by keeping it from slinging off, but bars and chains still wear out. Even at a dismal $70 a cord for pulpwood right now, it is no big deal? After the first tree I cut, I have paid for the brand new chain, after 4 trees I have paid for the bar, and at the end of the day, paid for the chainsaw.

But for some applications, quality oil does make sense. Like changing the oil in my bulldozer. I plan to keep that long term, so it makes sense to keep quality lubricants in it and it running in top shape. I also do that with some of my smaller equipment like small engines because I plan to keep them well into the future. And yes some of my cars because some I have bought as salvage for incredibly low prices, and the longer i keep them, the lower the ownership cost per mile.

I know some of these statements make people cringe because it seems it promotes a throw-away society, but is it? Do the math and tell me if I am wrong? Last week I cut that Sugar maple I showed on this site and made $4000 for the week and used used vegetable oil from Katie's deep fryer to do it. I don't mind spending money on good stuff if it saves me money, but if it doesn't, or the probability of doing so is low, I am NOT wasting my money.

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm

I remember after having my 6V53 rebuilt in my 73 Jimmy 10 wheeler dump, my DD dealer strongly advised me to use Kendall 40wt, military spec 2104B at the time, less than 1% ash.I still have some that I use on my 440 with the Jimmy diesel.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Forgot to add that exactly what that DD article was alluding to, my DD dealer also explained to me that all 2 stroke Detroits have fairly soft exhaust seats that don't bode well with high ash content.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader