2010 steering clutch rebuild questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
highsiera
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010 steering clutch rebuild questions

Post by highsiera » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Evening folks, long time reader finally jumping in. I acquired a 65 (45xxx) 2010 diesel crawler loader with a 93(00) backhoe that had been sitting for 10 plus years. The machine is in decent shape given its age and decade of neglect. The price was right, the engine was free, the undercarraige had good sprockets, rollers and rails so I dove in figuring if need be i could sell the hoe for what I had into it. Rebuilt the injection pump, cleaned out the fuel system and it fired up after it's long slumber. Pulled into the workshop and have been replacing fluids, filters and hoses. The right side clutch box had let in water(it sat outside during its hibernation) and it was a soup of water oil and rust. I had figured on needing to replace the clutches when i bought the machine, so i was actually pleasantly surprised when the left set was solid and worked well. I have the right side apart now and am about to begin putting things back together.
I have read with great detail the several posts pamark and reddirt have put up concerning their experiences in this arena, thank you both. I have the manuals, complete. I have assembled most of the parts i need to replace what is worn from Lavoy and the local dealer(s) but i have a couple of questions I was hoping the forum might be able to assist with.

Question #1 removing inner pinion bearing from the final drive. For those of you following along at home, part # JD8721, p 143 of the parts manual, item #7. What is the best way to remove this? hammer and cold dhisel into the clutch box? puller/ plate ? I'm older and more patient, and i don't want to bodger the housing or the bearing seat. please advise on this.

Question #2 Please don't flame me out here, I asked Lavoy about purchasing a clutch gauge when i bought the clutch disks and he was out of them. I can't find a JD-7 gauge for sale anywhere . I want to do this once (maybe once and a half) and do it it right. Would anyone be willing to give me the dimensions off their gauge so i can make a set up in the shop please?

Last question, has anyone used Timken bearings in place of the JD part numbers? it appears that many of the JD bearings from this era were made by timken and have corresponding timken p/n's. I'm talking about using real Timken bearings, not knock offs. I believe their quality control is still up to traditional standards. This is a cost issue, i don't install the box, i install the part in it. if it's the identical part...

Thanks for reading, appreciate any input.

BT

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:00 am

JD7 is not the gauge you need, I think JD242, your manual will say for sure.
I sell Timken when available or feasible, but in some cases, the price is so prohibitive that you just can't use them.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

highsiera
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by highsiera » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:12 pm

I stand corrected Lavoy, JD227 gauge according to the manual. Still a hen's tooth to buy, if anyone is willing to give me dimensions, PM me I'd be much obliged.

BT
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM

'79 JD 450c , Drott 4n1, 93 hoe