420c hood

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

420c hood

Post by ggfossen » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:52 pm

The hood on the 420c has a lip, or channel, in the middle portion of the lower right edge of the hood. It protrudes from the inside to the outside leaving, or forming, a channel about 1/2 inch deep.

Anybody know why it's there?

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 pm

Never been able to figure it out. Seems like some have it, some don't.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:03 am

Curiouser and curiouser. I didn't really notice it until after I started working on the straightening project. To does seem to have been put there purposefully, though.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to try making the hood latch bolts. Scrap bolts, a 20 cent piece of 1/8" roll pin, and some grinding and drilling. Should work.

I may also try to put in a thin stiffening piece where the web like fractures are on the front/back top of the hoop.

Much pondering to do.

Gary

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:45 am

Lavoy,

Something occurred to me about the odd piece on the hood. This tractor originally had wide pads, or what I assume to be ag or orchard pads. Although no one in our family was in that type of business, the valley was all pear orchards, and the crawler was not bought new.

I suspect the odd channel is for the mounting of some sort of side shield that would protect that side of the engine from limbs and such. The channel has a slot in the middle that would accept some sort of lip, or attaching mechanism, on the suspected shield. I also suspect the shield would have spanned from the front shroud to the battery box...if I had a battery box.

I don't know about the left side, but I will study it from a "different point of view" now.

GAry

jdman
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jdman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:28 pm

I Know What Its For .............

It's To Keep The Gas From Dripping On The Manifold And Distribitor And Causing A Fire......... Some People Try To Fill The Gas Tank With A Running Or Hot Engine....... The Shield Allows The Gas To Run Off In A Different Area.......

Thats My 2 cents.......

Jeff

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:32 pm

Jeff,

On the 420, the manifold is on the left, and the lip is on the right. It also has a slot about 3 inches long in the very middle of it that appears to be there to accept something from the outside.

I don't have a complete battery box, or the tool box, so I'm not sure the exact relationship between the front of the tool box, and the rear end of the slot/lip. I will have a better handle on it when I get the hood back on the machine.

I just retrieved the radiator, and I should have my engine parts any day now, so I will soon be back to installing things.

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:17 pm

Gary,
Battery sheetmetal does not hook to the hood in any way, it is bolted to the dash and the centersection, so that is not it.
You should have parts any day now, rest of the stuff is leaving here tomorrow.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Lavoy,

I guess I was a bit unclear. I tend to that from time to time. I knew it wasn't for the bat box, but I was thinking that it might be interesting to see where the little slot lands in relation to the bat box. Eventually, I will try my hand at pressing out the parts for the bat and tool boxes.

I will head for the shop as soon as I get the parts.

Today, I picked up the stuff that I need to Tig weld. I have never done it before, so it will be a...learning curve? Never used a gas welder, either. Should be interesting.

Thanks,

Gary