Serial # tag missing??

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
cowboy59
MC crawler
MC crawler

Serial # tag missing??

Post by cowboy59 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:57 am

I just recently bought a crawler in need of some repair, It has home made stickers stating it's a 440. The serial # tag on the clutch housing is missing. Is there any other way to get the year and corect size of this machine. It does have a loader #831-267. There is a stamped number on the trans below the dash, 1c 1031 22234 casing numbers found are m4266t or 10188t. It is a 5 speed also. Are the steering clutchs and pressure plates the same? Its gas and runs great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is one neat web site, lots of good info!! Thanks, Jim.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:05 am

It sounds like a 440 all right, they had an 831 loader.
Trans number doesn't do any good. You can try to contact your local Deere dealer and go through them to see about getting a replacement serial number tag. You will need to have the engine serial number, but if engine has been changed you are out of luck.
Steering clutches are no problem.
lavoy

cowboy59
MC crawler
MC crawler

Engine serial #

Post by cowboy59 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:19 am

Lavoy, thanks for the reply. Where would the engine serial # be? I guess you can get all the parts I might need? Depends on serial number as to how many steering clutchs I might need right. I was hoping to have parts on hand before tearing it down. Think I saw on your parts list a clutch setting tool?? What does it set? And where might be the best place to get a service manual? Jim.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:47 am

Jim,
Engine serial number is on the RH corner of the block, kind of below the generator.
Gauge is for setting the fingers on the pressure plate after the clutch is assembled.
Brad Kahler has all of the 440 manuals on CD, he has a post on here somewhere about it. Search through this forum a little bit and you will find it. Send him an e-mail and he will let you know.
lavoy

cowboy59
MC crawler
MC crawler

Number on engine?

Post by cowboy59 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:15 am

Lavoy, thanks, for the info on the engine id # . I got the engine # below the generator. Not sure if its right though?? It is F4930 is that a good #? I thought it would be more like the serial # tag?? Thanks.

Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

serial # tag missing

Post by Pat » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:58 pm

Just got a duplicate tag from Deere for a 440IC. Prepare to have patience, as it is not a priority for the folks in Moline. Took me 9 months. Have your JD dealer get an " application for duplicate ID plates " from the regional rep. Then fill it out, notarize it, get it back to your dealer, and wait. They may come back and say their is no such engine #, so just remind them its a gas not a diesel, (happened to me), and you may get it. Mine got lost in the shuffle as regional reps were reassigned, but was finally tracked down. Deere used to be more responsive on these, but recently it appears the regional reps have forgotten that us 2 cyl. guys are GOOD customers. They forget our 2 cyl. parts buying may just be part of our value, as we may also have other JD tractors, gators, Bucks, etc. So when I can, I remind them of that! Pat