Track pin removal

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

Track pin removal

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:34 pm

I know dumb question. What is required to pull a pin to drop the tracks off it need be? Torch, big hammer and big punch. What else? I didn't know if there are snap rings on the pin or not. I am hauling my crawler home this weekend and may have to drop the tracks to load. Thanks Joe
Joe Hartman - JD 420C 5 roller, 4spd, reverser. Henery Loader and Backhoe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:49 am

All of the above plus a snap ring pliers, alchohol, swearing, and a gullible friend.
Lavoy

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:57 am

Joe,

What model crawler did you acquire?

A little more clarification to your question. Each track should have one master pin that uses a snap ring. The manual shows rotating the track to get the master pin to the (7-8 right side, 4-5 left side) oclock position of the sprocket (it takes the tension off the master pin (looking at spocket from outside)). Than remove snap ring and knock the pin out (keep fingers out of pin hole of track).
I would purchase an JD shop manual for the model crawler you have. If I remember right someone has a posting on this message board with a cd (manual) available.

I hope this helps.

Don

JD 440IC

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:40 pm

This may be obvious, but take the tension off the tracks before trying to take it apart. I second Lavoy's comments if this has not been apart for a while. I beat the heck out of my master links and could not get them apart until taking out the rosebud torch and adding a little thermal persuasion. After some heat on them, mine came out fairly easily.

jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Sorry, it's a JD 420. So if tracks are siezed or brakes, and I am unable to get the master to the top, then what? Just thinking worst case and hoping for the best. Joe
Joe Hartman - JD 420C 5 roller, 4spd, reverser. Henery Loader and Backhoe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:22 pm

If that is the case, then I would just pick the most convenient track pin, and burn straight in the end of the pin with the torch. Cut until you have most of the pin burned out of the link, being careful not to cut the link itself if possible. Do this on both ends, then let it cool and you should be able to drive it out with a punch. It is hard on torch tips, but it works. If need be, you can do a pin at each end if necessary to get the tracks into more manageable size. Unless the pins are that tight in the tracks, it will most likely be the brake bands. If you are careful, you can go down through the inspection cover and blow the brake band bolt. This may realease enough tension to get the brakes off and the crawler rolling. Either way, take a good torch, and a better hammer.
lavoy

Dozerdave
40C crawler
40C crawler

Track Pin Removal

Post by Dozerdave » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:15 am

Had the same problem. Jacked the tractor up. loosed tracks up and used a large pry bar and slipped tracks over the frt. idler. Thus removing the tracks without breaking them. Than I was able roll the tractor around.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Hey DozerDave (or whoever else wants to comment):

I was doing some grading work on a slightly inclined slope and had the right track pop off the front idler when I had to turn suddenly. :shock:

I guess this is not a big suprise for me since I knew the undercarriage is worn and have had track try to pop off before when making sharp turns; it doesn't help that the adjusters leak off over time. However this is a little intimidating since it is the first time it has completely come off and I have visions of having to beat out the master link pin (I am always the pessimist since nothing ever seems to go smoothly when doing mechanic work).

I saw your post about slipping the tracks over the front idler; how easy was it to slip the racks back over the front idler to put them back on? I have the hydraulic adjuster on my 2010; will the adjuster arm slip back in far enough to put back on over the front idler without splitting the track?

Is there anything else in the undercarriage I should check while the track is off (within reason since crawler is on a slope)? I was thinking mainly about free play in rollers and idlers, but wasn't sure what else.

whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 am

Gosh I was just thinking how nice it would have been if my master pins had still been un modified when I had to remove the tracks from my 420 when rebuilding the tranny. Some one in the past had welded tthe masterpins out and rounded them over with a pien hammer. What a mess that was having to grind them off and then drive them out with a punch. It took a full day just to get the tracks split. and puting them back on was not much fun either. But I did order new master pins and put tthem back on properly. Sure wish that I had known about this site back them but it was several years ago and the site might not have been in operation then. I also wish that I had had the pins turned or replaced then but that was not in the financial realm at the time. The tracks will go over the front idler if you have a long enough pry bar to get them back on you just have to be paitent and have a good friend with a strong back and a weak mind. I guess kinda like me. Best of luck my friend. Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased