2010C tracks 42001- 1963 model loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jd 2poper
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010C tracks 42001- 1963 model loader

Post by jd 2poper » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:21 pm

Lavoy, I read in one of your posts that the 2010 could use 350 tracks. So do you use the 2010 drive sprocket. I just got this loader from a great gentleman in Park Rapids, Mn. and am in the process of find parts. Thanks Ferrald

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:55 am

Did you get the crawler from Melvin?
Yes, you have to still use 2010 sprockets, they are unigue to only the 2010. There are two different sprockets for the 2010. The sprockets for after 42,000 are for the larger bushing chain. To put 350 rails on an earlier machine, you just use the later sprockets and you are ready to go, no other modifications needed.
If you decide you want to do this, I have one set of NOS large bushing sprockets left.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:28 am

Hi Lavoy-

Just to expand on this topic a little, when you say no other modiciations needed on the 2010 undercarriage to use the 350 rails, you're saying the rollers, top idler, and the front idler wheel are compatible? Just double checking?

Also, have they stopped production on the large bushing 2010 sprockets or is it just your last set at the moment?

I may want to do this with my 2010 at some point- I still haven't ascertained whether I have the early (smaller) busings or the later ones. I am looking at long-term replacement needs for the undercarriage, as I don't want to get stuck with no parts availability.

Thanks in advance.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 am

Correct, all you have to change is the sprockets.
To the best of my knowledge the sprockets are obsolete, and this is my last set. I checked a year ago, and was not able to find any, but you never know.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:09 pm

For my 420, I was able to make a set of adaptor plates from the 420 hubs to the 350 sprockets. I would depend upon the diameter and the placement of the 2010 hub bolts.

I had to grind off the inner side of all the bolts that go from, or through, the adaptor plate to the 350 sprocket.

I used Grade 8, and there are more for the 350 than for the 420, so I figure have at least an equal amount of the bolting surface. The adaptor plate is about 3/4" thick.

I haven't put this to the test, yet, but I see no reason why it isn't going to work.

Gary

jd 2poper
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd 2poper » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Lavoy, Yes, Melvin was pleasure to meet had a good visit and it was my first time that far North, one of my partners and I, went up to buy it, That I-29 sure was a ruff one coming South to Omaha. I priced a set of sprockets through JD they said they could order them. E-mail me a price and I'll let you know. Also the chains , will the pads off the 2010 fit the 350 chains. It might be better to shot me a price on rollers top and bottom, front Idler also. This thing could use a total over haul of the under carriage. I've got another Dozer with a 6-way blade and a diesel engine in it, the pads on it are in good shape. I'll use it for spare parts Thanks Ferrald
Last edited by jd 2poper on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd 2poper
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd 2poper » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:33 pm

:D

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 pm

Not sure how your dealer was going to order sprockets, they have been obsolete for many years. I just did some checking early this week, and came up with nothing.
You might be able to source rollers locally cheaper than I can get them to you. Freight is a killer on stuff that heavy.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:47 am

Hi Lavoy-

What other options do you see for those of us not lucky enough to have a new set of sprockets?

-Do you think that ggfossen's idea for an adapter plate to a 350 sprocket would work? It seems to me from casual observation that the 350 sprockets are a different configuration (wider and solid versus thinner and with "spokes"(cutouts)).

-Can older sprocket teeth be "built up" with weld? That seems like it would be tedious, if it could even work.

-Do you think that teeth on old sprockets could be cut off with a plasma cutter and then new teeth from a 350 sprocket cut off in a ring and then welded to the 2010 sprocket, much like the way that flywheel teeth are replaced on old tractor flywheels?

-Do you think a machine shop could custom manufactuer sets with a template and specs? I'm sure that would be pricey if possible.

I am not a machinist or weldor, so I am just throwing out ideas for discussion.

Any suggestions would be appreciated for all of us 2010 owners, as this problem isn't going to go away.

Thanks to all.

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:30 am

Tiger,

For the record, I did the adaptor plate so as to not ruin a quite good set of 420 sprockets when I went over to the 350s. If pins and bushings, for the 420, go out of print, saving the 420 sprockets might be a bit more academic...and a bit more waste of time. I could have removed the centers, and replaced the 350 center with the 420 center, but I thought keeping the 420s in good shape was more important.

As to the adaptor plates, themselves, I used a steel plate heavier than either of the sprockets, and I bored the holes on a run-of-the-mill shop drill press. Not rocket science, but it does take some patience to get the holes well aligned, and a couple of faily spendy bits. Don't even think about using cheap bits. The out edge of the plate was cut, initially, with a torch, and then ground into round...relatively round.

I'm collecting engine pieces, as we speak, so it shouldn't be too long before I know if everything goes around as it should.

Gary Fossen

PS: I am neither welder, nor machinist, but I am an incorrigable tinkerer.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:57 am

350 sprockets themselves will not bolt on. To look at them, they do not seem like they are the same diameter as a 350 sprocket, but they might be. If that is the case, they yes, you could sacrifice a set of 350 sprockets and cut the rim off of both and weld the 350 rim back on the 2010 centers. I am going to do some more checking on the 2010 sprockets just in case I can find some. My first calls yielded nothing, will try some more next week.
The good news as to sacrficing a pair of 350 sprockets is that they are readily available, and not expensive.
Lavoy

jd 2poper
MC crawler
MC crawler

Measurments of pin and bushing on 2010

Post by jd 2poper » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Lavoy, I was looking at the sprockets for the 2010 large bushing model my sent me and I was wondering about the size of the bushing on my chain. When I held the new sprockets up to the old, the old don't look to worn, but the chain on the crawler doesn't look like it fits the teeth of the sprocket. If you could post the pin and bushing size I would appreciate it. I think that this chain is a small bushing chain instead of large, if that is possible. Thanks

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Per Lavoy in a different topic pertaining to the 2010:

"The serial number break as far as tracks is 42,000. There are some other breaks as far as the rest of the machine, different things like injectors and such. It is also possible that an early crawler has had the later rails put on. To tell which rails you have, measure the diameter of a track pin. Early rails are 1", late rails are 1 1/8". "

You should also be able to tell if it is early versus late from the sprocket part number- I just realized when looking at my 2010 sprockets that the part number is stamped right on the sprocket. I don't have the part numbers on me, but the early sprocket part number is different from the late sprocket by several thousand (something like 16xxx T versus 19xxx T). You might want to check your old sprocket for the part number and compare to the new ones, if visible on the old ones.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Early bushing is 1 9/16", late is 1 3/4". Bushings do not fit tight in the sprocket, otherwise it would really shred the sprockets even worse as the pins and bushings wear and pitch increases.
Lavoy