Rod bearing question?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Rod bearing question?

Post by ggfossen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:51 pm

My torque wrench arrive, today, and I immediately started tightening everything right and proper.

The mains seemed to do as they should. When I got to the rods, number one cylinder tightened OK. Number two is a problem. At about 40 or 45 foot pounds, I can still turn the engine by hand (with the fan blade). When tightened to the recommended 55 foot pounds, I can no longer turn the engine by hand. It will turn with a short bar inserted in one of the lightening holes on the counter balance, but not with the fan .

Problem is, I don't what's acceptable, and what isn't.

Am I in trouble?

Gary Fossen

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:16 pm

10 extra foot pounds should not have that kind of effect on the bearing. Not that it is the answer, but did you lube the bearings before you installed them?
lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:02 pm

Yes, I lubed them with a light lithium spray grease. I don't know if it's exactly ten pounds difference in that I didn't check torque at the point where it starts to balk. I could be a bit more of a difference.

I might try one of the sets of old bearings that I removed, and see what happens with those.

As I recall, there wasn't a lot of difference between the two rod journals when I mic-ed them, but I'm not sure of that. I may have to remove both rods, and check a little closer...but not tonight.

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 pm

If all else fails, see if you can get some Plasti-gauge from your engine shop and check bearing clearance with that.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:44 pm

Good plan. I didn't think about that. I will play with things in the morn, and see where I am. If I don't get it straight, I probably will have to go to town in the PM, and I will get some someplace.

I think I will pull the pistons, and check things again.

In my book, I notice that the "pip" on the rod and cap is suppose to be facing the cam. I put the rods and pistons back in as I found them, but not all the "pips" are on the correct side. Could that make a difference?

Thanks,

Gary

country53
440 crawler
440 crawler

Rod bearing Question

Post by country53 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:00 am

I'vr made a lot af machine slides, which have a clearance of .002"(I don't know what clearance a crank bearing has). When any grease is applied class1 or 2 it will lock it up, because grease takes up about .0025". 10W oil takes up only .0005" so it will slide. My 2 cents worth.

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:31 am

Country 53,

Your have to be close on the clearance figure. One reference says .001 per inch of shaft plus .0005. They measure 2.4980, so I figure .0025 to .003 oughta be right.

I will remeasure everything as soon as I get some coffee in me. I need to check the journals closer to make sure they are round...enough.

I didn't know that about the heavier greases, but intuition led me away from the heavier stuff. It may be, though that the spay-on stuff I'm using is thicker than I thought. I will check that, too.

Thanks,

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:03 am

Gary,
If all the pips are not on the same side, then you have it assembled wrong. The tabs on the bearings have to be on the same side. The rod was machined with the cap in this position, putting it together the other way will definitely cause problems, and will absolutely cause the problem you are having. You better look everything over real carefully to make sure that you have not damaged the crank, the rod, or the bearings.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:12 am

To all the uninitiated out there, or rank amatures, as I am:

I reinstalled the pistons so as to have the pips facing the cam side, as the book instructs. Then I changed the rod caps on the assumption that I may have mixed instead of matched. Apparently, that was the problem. Now, everything turns as it should when fully torqued.

Lavoy,

The bearings appear OK, but I really don't know what might indicate a damaged bearing. Any pointers?

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:19 am

As long as there are no smash marks on the bearings, there should be fine.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:22 am

Lavoy,

I saw none, and I expect the bearings would be the first to go...before the rods, and then the crank.

I will go with what I have.

For the record, it appears that there is something in the neighborhood of one thousandth between the old and the new, so they weren't really that bad. Now, it should out-last me.

Thanks,

Gary