jd440 ic steering clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

jd440 ic steering clutch

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:30 am

readjusting the steering clutches....to get throwout to reach fingers of clutch the lockdown bolt is almost clear out of the carrier groove.

is this symptom of either needing new pressure plate or simply needing new steels and or fibres?....both sides are almost same...right side just a bit better position.

also having a bit of issue with reverser....forward works ok....in reverse it wants to pop out.....i suspect that needs adjusting...notice the the pivot bushing at foot plate for reverser wobbles a bit which needs attention...new bushing??? or is that also contributing factor in the reverse pop out? that will get attention when am working on the clutch problem.

also an interesting note....i noticed starter on this unit the casing/housing looks like an automotive starter or generator casing....wonder if that is now 12 volt starter as unit is set up for 12volt?.....my 2 cyl wheel tractor starter simply does not look like that...will need to look closer at this.

what do the 6volt starter look like??? mine (wheel trc) looks heavier...

thanks
dtoots1
Last edited by dtoots1 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 am

If the pressure plate is set correctly with the gauge, often times the adjusting bolt will be almost halfway past the edge of the casting with the slot.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:45 am

so that appears to indicate the pressure plate needs to be reset with the gauge.

still requires a teardown to get to that.

let me see if i get this correct.....as clutches wear the locking bolt will actually move into the groove deeper....once it is all the way in is when clutches need replaced??????...if clutch has been set properly at installation. this is unknown as i just bought it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Correct, as the clutch wears, the fingers move towards the throwout bearing. Once the throwout bearing holder is bottomed in the casting, you have no further adjustment.
Lavoy

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:48 pm

that is great news!! Now i just have to make sure that i have adjusted correctly.

on the reverser question of loose pivot on footrest area....do these have bushings or that one of make your own fit...? and then do adjustments for the clutches?....probably have to take footrest out so can pull the rods apart an see what needed..
board mentioned reversers use ATF??? if so does it matter which kind? fords chevys chrysler use different.

the gauge on the hydraulics is located on right hand cylinder by drivers foot...not registering pressure....does not appear broken...is liquid filled type..and is fluid in hole when i take it out....board shows need only up to 2000psi gauge....appears to be at input end of hydraulic cylinder..do these things just quit or is it in wrong location???

thanks
dtoots1

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 am

Hi,

Differential style reversers use hydraulic oil, JD303 or Hygard is what I have used. There is a reverser clutch adjustment for forward and reverse, accessed thru the barrel bungs on the rear of the reverser, both left and right sides.

There was no hyd pressure gauge from Deere. Someone addded that, and it is probably broken if the hydraulics work and the gauge does not.

I cannot recall about the 440 reverser linkage. Been a long time since I was around a 440. And, the 420 I have is different in that area. My manuals are out in the workshop and I am in the house, or I would look that up....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:21 am

The pivot bolt and the shifter piece on the side of the center section both wear. The bolts I have, the angle piece you will have to bore and rebush. The "forked" end of the angle piece also wear a lot and the pin in the shifter rail. Weld and grind in the fork portion to repair it, I have the new shift rail pins on hand. Replace all of the pins in all of the yokes and look for any other wear that can be addressed.
Lavoy

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 pm

As for adjusting the direction reverser: If you have adjusted it to some unknown place, I would go back to square one and adjust the rear clutch ring much less than the 25-35 pounds called for in the manual. Then go to the other side and loosely adjust the front clutch ring to the point where you have some action when you move the lever. Then go back again and adjust the rear clutch ring as specified in the manual. You must do the adjustments in the proper order, rear clutch ring first.

As for direction reverser fluid: I have run "Type A" red transmission fluid with no problem. It is sold by different manufacturers as Type A or Type A-F and is recommended for early (1950s and 60s) Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles. Remember the direction reverser is not an sophisticated automatic transmission with valves and automatic shifting.
I have also successfully used Deere Hy-Gard, which many members on this board use. The direction reverser holds about 3 quarts.
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs