440ICD Starting

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:39 pm

Block heater for a 2-53 is a spefic item. I would check with a local Detroit dealer, or at least a good parts house. The one you are referring to I would guess is the drain plug heater for the horizontal two cylinder tractors only.

As for fuel blends, up here most of the stations go to 50/50 at least. If you can find it, Koch has a #2 fuel that is called P40 I believe. I run it frequently in the pickup when the temps get real cold. It is rated to -30 I believe, but is still a #2 fuel. Cenex has something similar called Wintermaster, I have run it many times as well. Both can be hard to find, they are usually a few cents over, so most people just run the blend. I don't like the blend, it usually costs you a couple of miles to the gallon, and a little bit of power as well.
Lavoy

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Lavoy wrote: The one you are referring to I would guess is the drain plug heater for the horizontal two cylinder tractors only.
Lavoy,

Yes I was referring to the gas engine. So you just remove the drain and put that in? No other freeze plug locations? I guess that works. :)
1958 440ic with blade

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 pm

No, the heater you are referring to is most like to fit ONLY the Waterloo built two cylinder tractors. There was never a factory listing for a block heater for the Dubuqe built two cylinder engines. Most likely you will see them with a tank heater or hose heater, but hose heaters do not work on them very well.
I have figured out a way to get a block heater in the freeze plug behind the carb. It is a real tight fit, but works great.
Lavoy