Jd2010 steering clutch replacement help

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Spledger
40C crawler
40C crawler

Jd2010 steering clutch replacement help

Post by Spledger » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Hello, my dad recently passed away and he has a 70s model jd2010 dozer. The steering clutches need to be replaced to get it running again and I have no idea how to go about getting these replaced. I have the new steering clutches. Just need some help understanding what all to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thank you
-scott

Tfrank
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Tfrank » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:14 am

I would highly recommend buying the download of the service manual from the John Deere website. You have to remove them through the top of the final drive after you pull the shaft out the side. Which means you have to split your tracks and remove the sprockets. To get to the top of the final you have to remove your seat and perhaps fenders. I dont have my book in front of me.

Spledger
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Spledger » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:46 am

Thank you Tfrank. I will dig up a manual.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:40 am

Good morning Scott-

Scott, you should understand that this job has the potential for growth once you get in there. Although the initial issue may be the steering clutches, you should also understand that the steering clutches and brake bands are an integrated steering system- the steering clutches disengage drive on the side using the steering lever partially engaged and the brake band is engaged with a more full pull of the steering clutch lever. Sharp turns have more to do with the brake band engagement than the steering clutch, and proper adjustment is critical. In addition, the final drive seals and or pinion seals can leak oil from the final drive or HLR transmission. The free parts manual you can access online shows these parts interrelationships.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:44 am

The reason I bring this all up is that while you can access the steering clutches through the inspection covers on the top of the housing without removing the finals, if you have these leaks or need to replace the brake band you may have to remove the final drives which is an additional and awkwardly heavy step.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:00 am

Sorry about multiple posts but just learned about the debug mode issue. Anyhow one other thing to know is that source of steering clutch parts is critical to this repair holding up they are not all equal and some brands and sources simply will not hold up.

It may be helpful to tell us why you suspect the problem is solely the steering clutches, unless you have done so already. I have not been on this board as much lately so apologize if I am treading worn ground.

Spledger
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Spledger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:02 am

Thank you very much tiger haze. This is good info. My mom found the original manual yesterday . Hoping this will help too. If you guys know anyone in the Birmingham Alabama area that likes to work on these things I could use someone :) . I am going to give it a go in a few weeks and see what happens.