re...jd440 reverser

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

re...jd440 reverser

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

well got the old girl inside.....working on the reverser...can only get reverse pressure to 17 lbs.....forward not adjusted yet but it is at 15lbs....

it does work both ways but in reverse have to hold reverser lever or she pops up and kinda into neutral which it don't have...adjusted slot wheel and seems to be as far as it will go....does that mean i have to replace clutches in this reverser?? i know i can use reverse in tranny and have a donor reverser but unknown condition as cannot test without installing.

have not tested reaction yet as to whether will stay with the 17lb pressure and do i want to up the pressure on the forward before i test? supposed to be at 25 to 35 lb pressure

thanks
dtoots1...akron, ohio

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

Usually you don't run out of adjustment. Just a little pressure can make it hard to adjust, try wiggling the reverser lever as you adjust.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks Lavoy,

It did work first couple of times but cannot wiggle and try at same time...will get another body to wiggle. still having trouble with the left steering...is there a torque spec for that throwout locking bolt?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Not really. Usually what happens is the washer crushes and doesn't hold as well.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com