jd440 ic steering clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

jd440 ic steering clutch

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:14 am

well guys this steering clutch sure giving me problems..

she now acts like my brakes are locking up....literally bogs her down soon as throw engine clutch stops on a dime....it does not appear to affect the tracks as still goes pretty straight...just stops her right now.

i have backed off the slotted brake adjustment nut about 15 clicks and decided to back off the right one 5 clicks....the left one as i pull back the lever i get a clicking noise without engine running. any suggestions as to releasing????

i know i lost the little locking bolt and washer when it snapped off down inside and have not been able to find it....i lost other new one nice and shinny and it fell to bottom where i was able to retrieve it...the half bolt unable to see down in the hole. am seeing a bit of buggering on the throwout circumference like something dragging on it

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 am

Hi: Inside the housing is an adjustable link arm that joins the quill ball and cam unit to the brake linkage. This needs to be adjusted correctly so that the springs are relaxed and the assembly in a neutral position to allow proper clutch/brake functioning. The clicking is the balls going beyond their slots and the springs pulling the holder back.
I put a link to my rebuild, and on page 2, July 25ths post I show and discuss why I had to correct the same problem. Sorry, it means pulling the final again. Good luck. Paul

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... c&start=15
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

re..jd440 ic....steering

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 am

took another look and moving left steering brake...the noise appears to be the throwout bearing itself....i had loosened it up and moved it back into the slot a bit and snugged it just to keep the bolt from falling out....bearing actually moves back and forth on the shaft and when you pull the lever that appears to be what is making the clicking noise since not pulling hard enough to pull the brakes.

i gotta check it again to see if i can actually get the brakes released...i need to get it into the garage if am gonna have to tear into it. is close to my shed but that is gravel and i do not want machine up on gravel to work on.

also do not want to ruin engine clutch!!

ok just back in...got her moved into the shed appears brakes did loosen up....would not the clicking come from my having backed off the brake adjustment slotted nut so far???.. i also note that this side brake band may well be worn a lot more than the right side...that side slotted nut is almost at even top of the threaded end. whereas left side is almost half inch exposed. so it would appear needs tear down.
before it tear it down i need to reset left side again...by the book...and see what happens...also gonna get endoscope down in there and see if i can spot any information.
if it was the lost bolt hanging up, i sure hope it fell to the bottom and did not ruin anything....we will soon see.

thanks for all help

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:16 pm

well that was dumber than a box of rocks!!! left off working on the reverser and....kinda left it in neutral....seems that was the problem...will find out more later....

did get endocscope into steering....and found the broken bolt down in the bottom ..that was not the problem...so far looks like was my stupid ..not making sure reverser where sposed to be!!!! Hope that did not screw anything up!

gonna try to pull a dead elm down this afternoon....will see
thanks again!!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Hope all is well and that you found and solved your problem.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd440 ic steering clutch

Post by dtoots1 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:33 pm

well problem NOT solved on the left steering .....but she sure does a nice job of pulling trees!!!!!

i suspect that my steering pressure plate is bad....seems a bit squishy.. i just work around it for now using right steering till i can get her into my garage and start dismantling......has a tree canopy on it too and probably that has to get off too...sure aint going to be FUN..
clutches appear fine....i think the fingers weak.... plenty power to track but can not steer to left. my locking bolt just barely into slot so i know plenty of clutch. anyone experience clutch finger weak or broken and feel squishy?

still cannot get reverser reverse adjusted to the 25-30 spring scale pressure....jiggle several times and go back numerous times and still won't......bit unhandy jiggle handle and move a adjuster....started adjusting really easy and now won't... wonder if i move back couple notches and then tighten would help??

thanks
dtoots1