re..jd440 ic....main clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

re..jd440 ic....main clutch

Post by dtoots1 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 am

looking at my book shows should be 1inch free play on pedal.....i have 1/2 inch only....where is the adjustment for the free play?

thanks
Dtoots1

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re..jd440 ic....main clutch

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 05, 2017 9:16 am

Depends on serial number, but usually lower on LH side, book should show location.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CalifKid
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CalifKid » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi dtoots and Lavoy,
Where is the Main Clutch pedal adjustment found on a 440ic (Serial 453000)
Did you find where to adjust the pedal free-play?
I cannot trace the pedal linkage externally along the Left-Hand Side.
Linkage seems to go thru the Reverser housing..... Do I have to remove the reverser cover to access the Clutch Pedal free-play linkage?
I don't get much from either the service manual or parts manual on this particular topic.

Please advise.

Thanks,
John C
440 IC Gas w/6way model 64 blade (1960)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:14 pm

that long rod coming out the front of the reverser has the adjuster with locking nuts, one to the rear of the adjuster and pne to the front of the adjuster..each of which must e loosened enough to move the adjuster...believe it is required to turn so that it moves towards the back to shorten it, tho am not positive....it also may require that the back belly pan be removed for access...seem to recall that there is not enough room to the outside to get long enough wrenchs to turn the blamed things,,operates kinda like a turnbuckle

almost a 2 people operation, someone to measure free play as you turn the adjuster..follow the rod and you will find it. mine was almost hidden towards the front and i took my belly pan off to access it...that is heavy..lowered mine with wheeled jack after i hooked small chain to each corner to hold it up while under it, jacked it up enough to take chains off and wheeled it out and used same method to get back in.

mine was definitely on the left side

CalifKid...see you online...any questionsS

CalifKid
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CalifKid » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi dtoots1,

Thank you for your descriptions.
Sounds like I need to slide under it to see the long-rod... got it.
(I didn't look from underneath, just from top and side while wiggling the pedal looking for some corresponding movement)
I only have a front belly-pan, rear belly-pan section is missing, so I shouldn't have much issue with access other than sliding under it..... time for coveralls!
So to confirm, I need to look for a rod coming out of the FRONT of the reverser (ie: going into the clutch-bellhousing)
Hmmm... thought I looked pretty closely, but let me get out there and look again.
I have no trouble going back-and-forth to adjust and check the pedal, provided I locate the adjuster.
Appreciate the notes, gives me inspiration that i'll find it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Rod does not come out of reverser, it runs along the lower left side externally.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:34 am

As long as you have free play in the pedal, you're probably not hurting anything. I believe the 1" is just an approximate recommendation.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:39 am

If you have service manual SM 2023 the rod shows, but is not called out as such, on the first page of the reverser section. It runs close under the shifter housing of the reverser. I can't say on a 440IC, but on my 430 I could see and adjust it from the top. I do have a couple short wrenches I used after the nuts were broken loose. HTH
Jim

CalifKid
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CalifKid » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:33 pm

That helps! Was enough for me to find it.
I think that since I have a model 64 Blade, It obscures seeing much from the top. Having a lot of built-up dirt on the linkage doesn't help either.
Once I crawled in from underneath and got my flashlight out, put my glasses on, scraped off some dirt, well there it was right in front of me.
A couple of 3/4 inch wrenches and I was in business! Got my free-play back.
Can hear a satisfying little 'clunk' in the clutch area when the throw-out bearing engages when moving the pedal free-play back-and-forth.
Now I need to get a return spring, as mine is missing the return spring. Couldn't tell until I got the free-play in the pedal working.
Relived now, knowing I'm not riding the throw-out bearing due to a tight pedal.

Thanks for the assistance.