just got a 440ic, some shifter help needed.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

just got a 440ic, some shifter help needed.

Post by Tim_in_IA » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:38 pm

Hi, this is my first post here! I just brought home serial 444006, a 440ic crawler. Just checking everything over now and I am having some difficulty steering. Really works the engine when I pull back on a steering lever. Lots of play in the levers. Does this mean I need to adjust the steering linkage? Also it appears to be a 5 speed but the middle back position doesn't do anything. Are there adjustments for the shifter as well or does this mean bad gears? Sorry if these are common questions, just starting off here.

Here is a picture on the trailer. Rops protection is really crappy so I will be removing and reworking it. Any good tips on how to do this are appreciated. Hour meter is missing and oil gauge is mounted direct to port instead of in dash so I have to rework those. Is there a special grease fitting I need to grease the rollers?

picture on trailer

Looking forward to putting this to work!

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:19 pm

nice looking machine. sounds like on your steering levers you need to ajust the throw out bearing to hit the pressure plate sooner. You should only be able to pull your lever back about an 1 1/2" before it makes contact with the pressure plate. sounds like you are applying the brake before the pressure plate is releasing. not sure what is going on with 5th gear unless some one has put on a different shifter cover and you only have a 4 speed tranny.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 pm

Tim,

Welcome to the best board on the Internet. Congrats on the nice looking 440IC. That looks to be a John Deere 602 angle blade on there.
If you have not already purchased them, first order of business is to get your hands on the JD service and parts manuals for this crawler. The operator's manuals are nice to have also but not as important as the other two.
The JD manuals will take you through how to properly adjust everything including those steering levers so that they work smoothly.
Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.
This board has a wealth of knowledgeable crawler nuts to help out.
One last thing, there is currently no known cure for this crazy "crawler disease", and I am trusting that it stays that way! :lol:
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)