Jd mc

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jcastigl
420 crawler
420 crawler

Jd mc

Post by jcastigl » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Im sure its on here somewhere but my child is in need of a transplant so he will turn right. Im almost positive my right hand steering clutch is about to go. It doesnt start engaging until the stick is about 1 inch from full back position the left hand stick engages within an inch of neutral position. So my question is how hard is this to do myself and are the parts available, ive done clutches on my ford jubilee and farmall cub is the final drive a similar operation
Nothing like an old tractor

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Jd mc

Post by fundytides » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 am

When you say engaging do you mean applying the brake? The clutches should disengage first and then when the lever is moved a little further the brake should engage. If this is not happening in the proper sequence, you may just need an adjustment. The best plan of attack would be to get a manual if you don't already have one and follow the procedure for adjusting the clutches and brake. This may solve your problem. If the clutches won't disengage when adjusted properly, they are probably stuck together and will probably require a tear down although occasionally the can be broken free by putting the dozer against a tree and disengaging the clutches while trying to push the tree into the next county. If the brake doesn't apply when adjusted properly, the lining on the band is probably worn out. One step at a time. Good luck!
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:04 am

having same kind of problem with my jd 440 dozer....left steering....mine i think is the pressure plate....fingers really feel kinda squishy like ....i know i have lots of clutch as the locking bolt is almost out of the slot and really to put t/o bearing at touching the bolt needs to be clean out of the slot and that won't work....meantime i work around till can tear left apart to see problem. track has plant of power

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:45 am

I normally stock all of the steering clutch parts. Job is not difficult, we can work you through it. Get factory parts and service manuals prior to tackling the project. I can get them if you need be too.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

jcastigl
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jcastigl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I took the top cover off and it seems to be a little wet down inside the final drive. Im thinking i need new seals as well. When i pull back on the right stick the crawler wont turn until its almost fully pulled back
Nothing like an old tractor

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:38 am

Sounds like oil contamination.
Lavoy

fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by fictional31m » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:08 pm

if its an early model mc you will likely want a guide tube for the throw out bearing a local muffler shop has near perfect diameter pipe and can hook you up for the no longer available tube and consider drilling a hole for the adjustment its a real PITA to get a socket,extension and swivel on the bearing lock nut i love the 440 finals and the access plug

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:28 am

I have the early throwout tube in stock that is machined to correct size.
Lavoy