JD 440IC Difficulties

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

JD 440IC Difficulties

Post by hunter41mag » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:57 am

Hi,
Last October I pulled the finals off my 440IC and I am finally getting around to rebuilding them. My original problem was the seal leaking from the differential housing onto brake band causing hard steering. When I went to pull the quill housing that holds differential seal it would not come off. I eventually had to pull the frame rail and inner final housing off the differential housing in order to get the quill housing off. My JD 440 Service Manual does not show removing the quill housing with the inner final housing in place.
My question is if the quill housing can be removed with the inner final drive housing still on the differential housing?
I worked up a sweat but it worked out for the better as I also had a broken upper bolt for the rear engine mount. Now I can get to it to remove the broken bolt from the flywheel housing.

Don
Eastern PA 440IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:15 pm

The quill will come out with the clutch housing on, but will not like it. The tolerance is not very big between the quill and the clutch housing, so dirt gets in there, and kind of rusts it togehter. If you have the back cover off, you can hit on the inside of the quill a little bit, and that will usually loosen them up.
lavoy