Jd 1010 diesel purchase questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Sjjbib
MC crawler
MC crawler

Jd 1010 diesel purchase questions

Post by Sjjbib » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi guys, I have been combing this site for the past few weeks, but I still have a few questions. I purchased 50 plus acres this past year and I am thinking I want a small dozer for touching up old skidways, popping small stumps, little grading of my building lot, future food plot work. I understand this is a small machine and has limits, but I think it might fit the bill. This is the machine I am looking at.

https://potsdam.craigslist.org/hvo/d/10 ... 31810.html

I talked to the current owner and he has 3-4,000 in receipts, and the previous owner had the diesel motor rebuilt..... seems to be well maintained. Only issue he mentioned is the final gear drive lower case has a crack, he is unsure how it happened. He has owned it for about 5 years and said he had intentions of keeping it, but ended upgrading to larger machine

I have read a lot of information about the 1010 vs 350 and the 350 seems to be the obvious choice . But I am unsure if I can really find a well kept 350 in this price point(6500asking)

Is the 1010 diesel motor really as problematic as some people say, I assume I will be putting pretty light use, I can't imagine putting much more then 50-100 hours a year on it.

I am not in a immediate rush to purchase a machine, but hate to miss out on a decent machine, excpecially sine this has a 6 way blade. I hate to be the guy saying what machine should I buy, but I am hopping for some advice.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jd 1010 diesel purchase questions

Post by Lavoy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:47 pm

1010 engine is not problematic, just horribly expensive to rebuild relative to others, and poor availability of some parts. You read of problems starting, that is predominantly operator error, or a poorly maintained machine. We own one, and I have personally worked on another 1010 diesel that would start in the single digits without ether or tank heater. ALL 1010 diesel crawlers have to be glow plugged to start other than a very recently shut down engine that is still hot. This includes an 80 degree day.
I would want to know what kind of rebuild the PO did, or just a quickie overhaul. Correct rebuild with new parts not including any fuel system parts would be in the $5000 range with any machining, not including any assembly labor.
Cracked case can mean a few things, but usually bearings went out and climbed the gears. Could be a spendy fix, won't really know til you get it apart. Any info on the $3-4000 in parts, that can make a huge difference.
If you are thinking that because it has had some work done, you won't have to work on it, you will be disappointed. Crawlers break, old crawlers might break more often. For the money he is asking, I would want some real specific answers to some real specific questions.
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Sjjbib
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Sjjbib » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks Lavoy, I will get some more detailed answers,I am no mechanic, but don't mind figuring things out, and have a few friends with real knowledge.... but maybe I am biting of more then I was thinking. For that price I was hopping I would get some work out of it before I started dropping money into it. I guess since my limited knowledge I was thinking the case would have cracked from hitting something..... the price is certainly to high if I am getting into a unknown fix from the start.

If the bearings went in the gears, I assume that would mean that the gear wouldn't spin as it should, it would be pretty obvious, and not work as it should.....just guessing... or is it possible that it wouldn't be very noticeable. I will try to post a picture of the cracked gear that he sent.

Sjjbib
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Sjjbib » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Hope this works, after looking closer on bigger screen guess it's more of a chunk missing then a crack... the guy said he isn't sure if it was a full rebuild but the motor runs excellent........ it's got new clutch plates, throw out bearings, bearings, seals, track tensioner and drive sprockets, and he assumes he is forgetting some things. He says the main gear operates normally but isn't 100 percent what happened....
Regardless I would need to track down a new case, looks pricy just for that, especially not knowing what else could be wrong.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Water in the final drive can freeze and cause cracking, and eventually missing chunks. Bruce

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:06 am

That broken part is supposed to have oil in it to lube the final drive. Any driving with no oil will cause serious damage. You should negotiate a lower price on the machine because you may be needing more parts for that final. Even if it only may need bearings replaced in there, the job is labor intensive.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:07 am

I agree. The labor cost or effort will far eclipse the cost of bearing(s)/race(s). A low priced offer may be appropriate.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 am

Total guess, but the way the gear is riding in the case, I am inclined to think that the bottom cover is a rock strike. That being said, if it has been run without gear lube for any length of time, you are still looking at a tear down. And while you are in there, you are probably going to want to do steering clutch on that side. I would be looking for a lower price, and not just $500 lower.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Sjjbib
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Sjjbib » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks guys, been digging a little deeper, made a few calls and reading your advice.... looks like I will have to skip on this one, unless somehow I can grab it for half the asking price..... again thanks for the advice.