Another running 420!

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Another running 420!

Post by ggfossen » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:01 pm

Today was the day. After I fixed a water leak from a bad gasket (probably my fault) on the water manifold, I put it back together, and pushed the button, or rather, pulled the button. A few jerky cranks, and it fired and ran quite well. I tinkered with the carb, and set the governor, and the RPMS seem to be in range on both ends. I must have had the timing almost dead on, because it doesn't seem to need any adjustment.

The generator is not generating, though, so that will come off, and go to town.

All the clutches and brakes seem to be working well.

I tried simply putting the high pressure hydraulic hose into the tank fill, because the valves were not mounted. Not a good idea. It immediately blew out all the fluid. I put the old leaky valves on, and now it's OK.

For all of this, I owe a hell of a lot of thanks to Lavoy. Had it not been for all your rapid and correct responses, I would have had a lot more difficulties.

Many thanks,

Gary

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Did you try polarizing the generator? I may "fix" the generator.

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:35 pm

jac

I don't know how to polarize the generator, but I will sure give it a try if you tell me how?

I suppose it could be the regulator, too??

Gary

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:42 pm

jac,

I just jumped over to the net, and googled "generator polarize" I didn't have a lot faith in the search, but the first reply is info from Deere about polarizing generators. I guess everybody with an old rig should know about this.

Gary