Mc roller grease

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Mc roller grease

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi,

Try finding Water Pump grease. As in the stuff cars used prior to WWII. Yet another specialty lubricant once used by the barrel and No Longer Available.

Unless one goes to eBay and looks at Cans and Buckets for Oil and Gas collectibles. You will find it there. Oh, the sellers are trying to sell old cans, and many have not been emptied due mostly to seller laziness. That is a plus for me, because I don't want the can per se. I want what is *in* the can still. I pay too much, but later on I can clean up the empty can and recover my money. If it was particularly dirty and now I have it nice and clean, I can actually *make* money by getting my old stuff this way. :)

I recently saw a 5 pound can of Kendall S-831, a #3 Sodium fiber grease, go for $30 bucks shipped. Full. Still had the little swirly on the top. The seller had a pic of it with the lid off. Problem is, for this use, one has to get the sticky goo - it is like taffy - into a pump gun. As it was packaged, it was for garage use on wheel bearings. I didn't buy it as I have a couple 1 pound cans already, and I prefer the S-825 #2 version for race car and trailer wheel bearings.

You see all sorts of older stuff in the Cans and Buckets category. I saw a case of Flit cans a few months back. Anyone need 3% DDT? Still out there. People find stuff in Grandpa's barn after he no longer needs any of it and up on eBay it goes.

I did also see a 120 pound drum (16 gallons) of #3 MobilLux (I think it was Mobil anyway) for 300 and some bucks. This was in the industrial grease section. I was looking for tubes for you. If you got a barrel pump you could fill a gun. But I figured this was a bit too much shop-like for you and didn't mention it. The last time I needed to restock on #1, which I prefer to use on dozer and loader pins and steering kingpins and the like, I found an eBay seller with lots of tubes for a good price. But, I didn't see any #3 in tubes at the moment.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Seth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:01 am

Sweet, thanks. Looks like I need to get on eBay.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:51 am

We took a 120# drum with a gun filler on it, and put a 6 foot hose with a button head adapter on it. Put the barrel and pump on a cheap hand truck so we can roll it around easy, and now you have a 3 roller grease gun!
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi,

I like it! :)

Would work for #0 equally well, too. I find it easier to locate stocks of what are nowadays oddball lubricants in 120 pound 'drumlets' as I call them. I really ought to do that and stop buying cases of corn head grease....but then I would probably screw up the auto-predicted stockage the local dealer's parts computer has calculated. I think I am the main buyer of the stuff! :P

Then, too, when a drumlet is used up it makes for a great shop trash can. And, when you have too many, your friends will help you out with the extras....because they don't take their stuff in drumlets....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Seth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 pm

I tried looking up grease with fibers in it and all that came up on Google was hair pomade, as far as a barrel of grease, I probably won't run it enough to justify the cost, so I will get a case of the red and tacky and hope it stays in the rollers

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 am

It will work fine.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com