Idler bracket crooked..am I boned?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Idler bracket crooked..am I boned?

Post by Seth » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:56 pm

So I split the track today on my me and pulled the idler of because it wasn't straight on the track frame. I found the inside hub TE 20 YT was broken and missing a big chunk out of it, so I know I need that one. How ever, when I took it apart it the bushing on the outside of the idler fell right out, and I had to press the other side out. I was told they aren't supposed to fall out on their own. So I cleaned everything thing up and whipped out the dial Caliper. one side of the idler is .037" bigger than the other side. Also, the bushing that is not broken has several cracks in the inside, are these the chilled cracks that the service manual says not to worry about? And should I build up the bushing and turn it down to get some of my .037 back, and is it even possible? Or do I need to buy an idler wheel as well as 2 bushings? Also my parts manual is showing snap rings inside the idler brackets, but I haven't seen them in mine? Any help and advice would be very appreciated. Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Idler bracket crooked..am I boned?

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 am

Bushings won't weld worth a darn, they are chilled cast iron. Snap rings are only on early brackets, if your brackets have a threaded shaft, you don't have them. I have idlers on hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com