Buying 2010?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mapleshade
MC crawler
MC crawler

Buying 2010?

Post by mapleshade » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:37 pm

I am looking at a 2010 with a back hoe. I just want something to play around with and this one is available. It was raining too hard last Sunday when I looked at it so I will be going back. Is there anything a novice like me should be looking for? The owner just bought it to flip it and doesn't know much about it. He showed me the sleeves and the old pistons but we don't know when that job was done. He says the steering clutches were good. My late father was a heavy equipment operator and I should have paid more attention when he was around.
Thanks in advance,
Barry

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:39 am

I have a 2010 crawler loader with the Model 50 backhoe. I just bought it in late summer. You can read about it and see some pics in the "Show and Tell" forum.

There have been several posts lately about the 2010s and what to look for on them. Do a search in this forum for "2010" and read some of those posts. They will give you a pretty good idea of some of the more common issues.

Everybody will state something a little different, but I think the major consensus is to inspect the undercarriage for excessive wear. They can be one of the most expensive parts of the crawler to repair, and some of the undercarriage parts are or are becoming obselete. If it is too worn it can also hamper your ability to use the crawler extensively until it is replaced, especially if you will use it more as a loader than as a backhoe.

After youyr read some of the earlier posts, feel free to ask some more questions. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable guys about these 2010 models.

mapleshade
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mapleshade » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Tigerhaze, thanks for the reply. I had already read all the great info on this site and a spent considerable time checking out your photos. I stopped last night on my way home for some photos and it looks like this is a later model. There seems to have been a data plate on the bellhousing but of course it is gone. I also noticed a couple of big welds on the backhoe where there was an old problem. Do you have any tips as what to look at for worn undercarriage? What looks to be the fuel filter on the left front of the engine has been by passed. I think this thing is used and abused but may still be okay for my purposes.
Cheers,
Barry

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:30 am

My S/N plate was missing as well; there are some parts on the machine that can give you clues about the relative range of the S/N such as the undercarriage, fuel system, etc.

You didn't say whether your machine was diesel or gas (I'm assuming gas). My machine is a diesel. The diesel has two fuel filters mounted on the "driver's side" (left side) of the block.

To tell you the truth, it is best if you find someone knowledgeable about these 2010s to go with you and look over the machine. I am just learning myself and I'm sure even the "veteran" guys on here would tell you that taking someone that knows these machines will save you some trouble down the road or at least give you leverage on price negotiations.

There are several other sites that have what to look for in an undercarriage; I may post a link or two in the "links" forum. There are measurements you can do to check pin and bushing wear and rail wear; however there are some visual inspections you can do to get a relative idea of the undercarriage wear. I would suggest looking at the sprockets to check for cracks and welds and inspect the sprocket teeth for excessive wear. They should not be sharp at the point of the tooth but rounded. Look at the bushings on the track rails for roundness and make sure they are not worn through or cracked. The bottom rollers shouldn't be touching the pin and bushings of the rails beneath them (the pin boss). The track pads or grousers shouldn't be worn down so much that the bolts holding them on are being rounded off. These are just some points to look for that indicate an excessively worn undercarriage; there are many other checks and it would be best to have someone knowledgable to look at it for you.

FYI, my backhoe boom has some minor welds. I'm beginning to think that most of them do. It doesn't seem to have affected the useability of my backhoe, but I haven't really pushed it too hard yet either.
Last edited by Tigerhaze on Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi Barry-

I posted some of those undercarriage inspection links in the "Links" forum. It's probably more than you ever wanted to know about undercarriages. :)

mapleshade
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mapleshade » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:10 pm

Hi Tigerhaze
I will try out the picture thing. It's a diesel and the filters you referred to are definitely not hooked up. Thanks for the great links to the undercarriage.
Barry

mapleshade
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mapleshade » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:38 pm

Does this look like the later injector setup?
Barry

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:32 am

From a distance it looks like your undercarriage is in a lot better shape than mine; course I knew that mine was on the downward spiral before I bought it. It seems like there is a lot of life left in your undercarriage, at least for occasional use.

It also looks like you have the Model 51 backhoe (slider); mine is a Model 50 (center of tractor). The Model 51 is the more desireable of the two.

I'm a little envious of the condition of the one you found. :wink:

It looks like you have a different fuel system than mine; I thought that the one you have is the earlier system (banjo nuts on fuel fitting) but I could have them backwards. I would definietly get new filters and reconnect the fuel filter system; I'm not sure why they bypassed it but it seems like that is a bad idea. of course there is probably a reason why they bypassed it. Maybe someone on here has an idea.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:47 am

My guess is someone thought or was told that they could not get filters anymore, so they just bypassed them. I would definitely hook them back up, injection pumps do not like dirt and crud. If it has already been run this way for very long, you may be looking at a pump rebuild.
Looks like a decent old girl, with the loader and hoe, you can do a lot of work.
Lavoy

JD430C
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JD430C » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 am

those look like the injectors used on the 64 and 65 2010s. my 65 2010 has the same ones, but i have the single filter system.

andrew
jds- 450B, 450C, 550, 4020, 3140 MFWD, 5200 MFWD

ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ironyetty » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:13 am

Not to scare you away but it seems that the diesel was notorious for a cracked head. I just replaced the one on mine, a pricey fix and a little hard to find part. Turns out they are next to impossible to find, at least that haven't already been welded and fixed.
I am still new to the 2010 but it seems like it is going to be a neat little machine to play with.

Cliff