ignition

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
shugy368
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: ignition

Post by shugy368 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:16 pm

You're speakin Jesus there Stan, we all have our foibles, like my dad always told me growin up, IF YOUR HEAD WAS'NT ATTACHED!!

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: ignition

Post by scampr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm

I am not a great typer so i never got into the trouble shooting of ignitions but Stan hit a home run with the post on the magnetic field. The whole system revolves around that collaps of the megnetic field in the coil. When power goes through the coil through the points to ground it creates a magnetic field in the coil and when the points open that field collapses and creates a spark. The coil has 2 sets of windings in it one a heavy one that goes from the + to the - side and a fine set that goes to the - to the output side. ( coil wire or the dist) its when the collaps of the field it causes a spark to be created on that side through induction. The thing to remember is its the flow and stopping that causes this. People a lot of time blame a condenser which is just a capasitor that absorbs some of the power when the points open to cause less burning on the points. They RARELY ever go bad in fact if you have one that has little burning on the points dont change it. ( it has a good capacitance for the system. The first thing you check and is usually the issue is the points. You should see power on the hot side when the points are open and you shouldnt see power on that same side when the points are closed.( if you see power the points are not letting the power go to ground.After that... a good ohm meter is a handy thing to have... Low Resistance through the primary side of the coil and high resistance on the high side. use that on plug wires too.. A lot of older plug wires were just that... solid wire so no resistence.. but with the addition of radios the wires were used with some resistence to eliminate radio interference. 1K ohms to about 5K is what i look for... although i like the around 1 K. I hope i tried to explain that in a way that was understandable. Another thing to keep in mind is thats the theory for spark.. electronic systems do the same thing but not with a machanical set of points.. but the theory is still the same...
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too