Jd 40c good price or not?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Timr82
MC crawler
MC crawler

Jd 40c good price or not?

Post by Timr82 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 pm

My uncle has a JD 40c he’s put a lot into it and is asking $1200 for it but is currently non running. He had the engine bored and it was bored prior to him getting it he said its been bored 90 thousandths over and after that he was getting water in the cylinders he thinks it’s due to the standard size head gasket he put on, the head was bought brand new a year prior. It has newer tracks and rollers but their is another problem too he thinks he might of installed 2 gears wrong and it sheered some teeth off and the get jammed up. He had a neighbor take the it apart and machine the new rods that the gears are on and he wasn’t sure how the went back on and as soon as he tried to move with the new parts he heard the noise and that was it wouldn’t move and now it’s sat for several years now. My question is it it worth that price, do I need a special head gasket with that bore and does anyone have an idea of what gears he was talking about he didn’t know what ones they are? Thanks in advance

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Jd 40c good price or not?

Post by amos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm

40C is 1950's era and parts could be extremely hard to find. If looking to restore and do some shows and you don't mind a few years locating parts(and have deep pockets) then I'd say buy it.
If your looking for a machine to work look for a running 350B which can be found for 3500 to 7000 depending on condition. Parts available for them at regular prices.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 am

I'd say "BUY IT". Probably Lavoy can get the parts you may need at a fair price. If I was you, I'd find a shop manual first, to see how to build the engine correctly.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 am

IMO, You can not go wrong at $1,000-1,200. The transmission is one of the last things to wear out on these crawlers; meaning, trans parts are usually available in the used market. The U/C parts are usually the one that wear out first. To repair the damage will definitely take time and a concentrated effort. Good Luck, Bruce

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 am

No such thing as oversized head gasket. Block or head may not be true, gasket installed without any sort of "dressing". The metal faced headgaskets are not forgiving at all.
Parts are not an issue other than trinket type stuff that everyone wants.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Timr82
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Timr82 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:13 pm

amos wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm
40C is 1950's era and parts could be extremely hard to find. If looking to restore and do some shows and you don't mind a few years locating parts(and have deep pockets) then I'd say buy it.
If your looking for a machine to work look for a running 350B which can be found for 3500 to 7000 depending on condition. Parts available for them at regular prices.
Amos
I also have a guy that has 440ic with a seized engine he wants $2000 for it and I’m not looking for a show just something to do some clearing and don’t have a ton of money to buy one I believe he has manuals he said he used this to try and figure out how to put the back in.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:45 am

Engine parts are normally readily available, so that does not worry me. you will like a 440 better than a 40.
Lavoy

Timr82
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Timr82 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:50 pm

On the 440 is $2000 a good price it’s been sitting for years the tracks are really good but the drive sprockets will have to be replaced or repaired the sooner the better. The rollers I am unsure of the condition and it is a 5 roller. It does have a gearmatic winch on the back (that will also need repairs) and most if not all the hydraulic hoses will need to be replaced. And I appreciate all the input and advice you and other have given thanks to all this will be my first crawler and I really want to get the yard done so I can restore it with my son that was disappointed when I had to sell the tractor he loved.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:39 am

Here is my take on restoring a crawler in general. If final value being more than you have into it is a concern, don't even start, none of them are worth what we have in them if restored/repaired correctly.
Here is my take on restoring a crawler with your son. What is the time you will spend with him worth relative to the value of the crawler when it is done. As the commercial says, "PRICELESS".
Be aware that crawlers eat money, so be prepared for that. But what many people often overlook is what is the value of the work that you are going to do with the crawler if you hired it done? If you out $7000 or $8000 into a crawler, and over the years it does $20,000 worth of work for you that you did not have to hire done, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself, do you have $7-8000 in the crawler, or are you net $12-13,000 because of the money it saved you.
Lavoy

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 am

I really like your philosophy Lavoy. I have spent way more on purchasing, repairing and maintaining my 450C track loader than it is actually worth. But, I have 400+ hours of work on the hour-meter. Even at a low of $25/hr and a high of $50/hr, that is $10,000-20,000. My wife, from time to time, wonders why we have this equipment on our farm. I gave her the above rationale and the light went on. She is on-board now! Take care, Bruce

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:54 am

Timr82

As info....i have now had my jd440 ic for 2 years....i have worked it on a paddock for neighbors horses..clearing trees etc and actually loaned it out to the guy who hauled it for me for 2 weeks moving bricks etc into his farm driveway at the barn...it then needed work on the left steering....actually the left brake band broke...that cost me $650 for entire clutch pack and new brake band...and sure made a difference in how she worked...and was able to do the heavy work myself....i will be 75 this month...and past month have been pushing trees down next door neighbors and have posted pics on this site of the job...just this past week had trouble with a lift cylinder and will need rebuild on it should run about $100 if i am fortunate. Only other thing i have done is replaced the battery, it has been changed over to 12 volt system. It does require hoists etc. to work on these things to replace these heavy parts.

It is a 1960 model with 6 way blade. I am well pleased it.

By the way Lavoy is the guy to get parts from, especially the clutch pack fibres etc.

Just info to give you idea on some of the costs involved.
My thoughts on the machine would be to get it lower....it is gonna take work to get sprockets and get em off as well...if sprockets worn out most of the other drive chain etc will be worn as well...not cheap...get pics and post em these guys can tell a lot from the pics....we do have a dedicated pic server, log in to this site and open q&A board at bottom of board index there is posts explaining

Enjoy!!

dtoots1

Timr82
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Timr82 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 pm

I’m not sure on how to post pic on here but I’ll try to get out their and do a little video, post it on YouTube and put the link on here for the 440. Also I don’t have a crane or hoist would a cherry picker work for most or all of the work to be done on this machine?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Timr82

I believe you would be able to use a cherry picker, of course you must be very careful with them...most of work should be less than weight of a v8 engine...come a long are pretty handy too. One caution..do not use cement block for blocking....always use 4x4 6x6 etc.

Have you gotten to read the Q&A section for the dedicated pic server....if you can upload to tube you can certainly upload to this site....send a p.m. msg. to Lavoy with your login and password and you will be able to access the pic server site.....any questions give a holler and someone will walk you thru it...

dtoots1

Timr82
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Timr82 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Here is a link to a pic of the jd40c http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b42 ... ko7i3.jpeg
and this is a link to a pic of the 440 http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b42 ... 15gom.jpeg
after all the input I am leaning towards the 440 and ill post some more pics of the under carriage when I can get over their to take them as for the JD40c I can't get more as that I 3hr from me I do have 1 more pic front view. thanks

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pm

O>K> am not very good at the pic evaluation, others here will be.....I do know that my jd440 has 36 track shoes per side...if you have less they have shortened the track to accommodate...this works ok as long as the track and sprockets have worthwhile life in them. Read all info shown in the early model forum...i read all forums and get lots of info....there are several posts covering how to measure for wear on the tracks etc...

from your pic it does appear to have some track adjustment left...i just cannot tell from pics how worn.

Also,,,,,all the guys on this site have gotten away from photo bucket simply because they shut off all the pics that they had posted as no one is interested in paying to have pics stored..That is why we have developed our own pic server as a whole lot of knowledge has been lost from photo bucket...