6 way conversion questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
suther51
40C crawler
40C crawler

6 way conversion questions

Post by suther51 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 pm

This may sound strange but has any one used a 3 inch ball hitch for gooseneck trailers for the main pivot to build a 6 or 8 way conversion? I have a 56 420, but need to learn which inside frame blade it has as I am not familar with the differences in the types. Any help either way is much appreciated.
Eric
still going green

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 6 way conversion questions

Post by notmeu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 pm

I considered using a hitch ball for my 6 way conversion. But I was afraid of too much blade movement while pushing dirt. Is there anyway for you to post a photo of your blade?
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Such a shame that Photobucket stopped sharing; so many wonderfully useful posts with pictures lost.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Yes Paul I agree. I did contact Lavoy about getting setup to post pictures. If only there was a way to get those photobucket pictures back without spending a fortune....
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

suther51
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by suther51 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Up date.
I have decided to use a plane spherical bearing for the main pivot, 2 1/2 Id 4 3/8 od. Overkill but the eBay price was right, and more surface area. The spherical bearing is a high misalignment model, 14 deg one way, 28 deg total. On a 75 inch blade if I remember the math right gives about 18 inches of vertical blade movement corner to corner. Will try to keep up with updates.
still going green

suther51
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by suther51 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:10 pm

I must ask what the proper terms are for dozer blade movements? Angle, bevel, tilt, attack angle, ECT. When using terms it always a great idea to use terms properly so as to be on the same page. Thanks and will at some point post some pics of the blade on my 420c, maybe some overall pics of the dozer also, a rather beat machine but I never really thought that I would be able to afford one, much less one that I could use. Yes I have thrown the rt side track 3 times and the left once (thankfully, just once, though it is far from ideal the rt track has a top link pin for the master link, makes it a LOT easier to put back together) must sound like a basket case but it is my basket case!
Ps the attachment points (For winch?) On the finals are broke off. My uncle said it must be a well built machine to have survived all the abuse over the years, looks as though it was used (abused) for pulp wood. No winch now though.
Thanks Eric
still going green

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 am

suther51,

Well to start on.... i would first see about the manual to adjust the tension on the tracks....and do all the greasing necessary for the rollers etc.... by the way they use a low pressure grease gun with 00 grease and usually have a special flat headed fitting

Secondly, get good photos and sign up with Lavoy giving him your login and password that you wish to use for the "pic server"...send him either an email, pm msg or phone call. Once you have the pics and upload, all the guys on this site will be able to view and give you pointers as to what "ails" the machine has and any possible solutions available.

Your tracks should NOT be jumping when adjusted properly and IF not worn beyond use, there are many adjustments on these and they all work together.

My machine is a jd440ic, a 2 cyl gas dozer made in 1960, I also have a 2 cyl wheeled jd40 s made in 1954 it is 6 volt and starts throughout the winter with no real problem.

welcome

suther51
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by suther51 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:26 pm

My love of these dozers started when my mother bought a 2 cylinder jd m, 1950, then i found out that they built a dozer w the same chassis. I was gogel- eyed ever sense. The adjustment on the track tensioners was very unbalanced inside to outside. I have eavened the spring tension but they are too tight now, it was just a guess, waiting for better weather. Wish for a garage! I know that the tracks are most worn but they have been doing the job. I have not checked yet but am sure that the compression is low, I understand that it should be about 120 psi. All in all my favorite machine!
Thanks
Eric
still going green

suther51
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by suther51 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Built a grease gun with a pressure relife valve set to a tad over 250 psi with a guage built in. Clumbsy but better that blowing out roaler seals!
still going green

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm

not sure where Sherburne, NY is , but i was born in Buffalo and raised in Lancaster and Depew, NY till i was 13, been all over since and now back to Ohio.
So i know what you got...."hurry and wait" till can do!! Tis 50 here today but ground still soft and mushy so can't do without tearing up grounds.

Luckily i was smart enough to put an overhead door in the back of my garage, so i can get both dozer and tractor in on cement floor to work on 'em. Still got a few trees to get down and stumps to burn when i get the tops off.

Good Luck with getting yours fixed up.

Lets see your pics soon.

suther51
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by suther51 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 pm

Sherburne is bout 1/2 way between Binghamton and utica ny, just lost mabey half of our snow to day but snowing now. Looks like gona get ot all back and mabey more. If the truck can't get there and the tractor can't the dozer is yet to disappoint, it's pulled them both out before :lol:
Eric
still going green