General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member located in N E Alabama, I am the proud owner of a i think 56 modle 420c. I use this tractor around the place cleaning up. I am a recent cancer survivor and for the last 2 years haven't been able to do much so have some catch up to do. My 420 is an old forestry service machine and had one other owner. It is rough to look at but other wise works well. the under carrage is about 40%. I have rebuilt the tranny and that was a real experience. might tell the story some time. only took about 9 months.

Any way hello every one and Lavoy this is a great site.

Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:43 pm

Bill,
Welcome to the site, congrats on being a survivor, best therapy is something old and green on tracks.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Bill,

Welcome.

I, too, have a '56 420 that was rode hard, and put away wet...literally. I had to have the engine sleeved. I have about a year into the project, but I started it a few days ago, and have waddled around the yard a bit. All seems to work well.

I put 350 tracks and sprockets on it, and I just converted a 350 ROPS canopy. Today, I started the limb risers, and have one mount. The second should go on tomorrow. I also added tool mounts, and choker hangers to the back of the ROPS. It seems to be working well.

As we speak, I'm sort of puzzling my way through the muffler. I don't like the old glass pack on it, but I'm having trouble finding the right stuff, locally, to mount a new on to the manifold. I may have to whittle out something.

They are good honest fun, and relatively harmless, unless one does something really stupid. I guess they can be a bit spendy, but I don't play golf, and I don't want to pay the light bills for Reno, so I'm probably ahead of the game.

Good Luck.

Gary

whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:28 pm

Hey Gary,

Sure glad to hear from you, Yep the old tracks can be sort of costly but when you fix something on them and it works good as new it is a great feeling. I built the tranny about 4 years ago and couldn't get any parts boy that was fun. boring gears and sleving them and taking shafts and chroming them out and grinding back to spec. lol yep they can be sort of costy but sure is fun getting that 50+ year old grease on your hands lol

my nest project will be the tracks but will be some time off have to pay some medical bills first self employed and had no insurance gonna take a little time to recover the finances but I have a great big God and he takes care of me.

thanks for the welcome for sure and look forward to more good reading

Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:39 am

Welcome to the site Bill-

For sure any thing you need and can't find.. someone here will have one or tell you how they delt with needing one.

I've got a '57 420C with #61 blade that was at one point (I'm almost positive) left in a swamp to rot. It was a basket case but I've learned alot through the help of others on this site and just good old trial and error.

Welcome though, glad you found your way here.

Gary-

Only a year.. I've been trying to get a final rebuilt for over a year.. buttoned it up just last night. I did put graduating from NCSU, moved twice, changed jobs three times, and numerous other things in that time frame!

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Welcome

Post by lastchancegarage » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:41 am

Bill,
Good luck to you on your recovery as well as your crawler therapy. I pm'd you some info which should help you with your recovery. I have a 440 so not much help for your style crawler. If you get a chance, post some pics.

Scott

p.s. The PM's (private messages) don't always get through. If you didn't get it, let me know here.
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:08 am

Congratulations on surviving. I know what you went through as my wife just finished her treatments. Just hang in there. Lavoy is right, you have the best therapy, green and tracks.

God Bless!
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Jimmy,

I'm done with school, done with work, and done with moving, and it still took me a year. Places to go, and hills to look over seem to get in the way.

I just finished my limb risers. They look good. If I can get the hood back on, I may take some pics with the cell phone, and see how they do. I still have to fab up a bunch of the hood latch screws. That's the hold up on the hood being installed.

Gary

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Jimmy,

I'm done with school, done with work, and done with moving, and it still took me a year. Places to go, and hills to look over seem to get in the way.

I just finished my limb risers. They look good. If I can get the hood back on, I may take some pics with the cell phone, and see how they do. I still have to fab up a bunch of the hood latch screws. That's the hold up on the hood being installed.

Gary