John Deere 1010 Crawler Track (Link) Problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Alwaysthehardway
MC crawler
MC crawler

John Deere 1010 Crawler Track (Link) Problem

Post by Alwaysthehardway » Fri May 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Running my machine today I had a link break off completely on my 1010 Crawler Track. It had been welded by a previous owner, enough to hold for awhile anyway. Now wondering what the best thing to do is...? Can 1 section of the chain be repaired? Are sections of chain available? Would it make sense to do that? It's a 5 roller track with the 12" "flat snow" shoes (grousers). They're all in great condition. The chain isn't bad overall. Anybody know what type of money a decent track (or chain) would go for or where I might find one?

Since it's apart I'm also going to look for a Hydraulic Track Tension Adjuster for the left side as well... It bleeds down. It has been damaged by a piece of angle iron having been shoved in there to keep tension on it. Anybody have one they'd like to sell?

It's a 63 or 64...

Thanks, Dave

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 13, 2005 7:44 pm

Dave,
Is the whole track that bad, or can you just replace the one link?
I should have an adjuster on hand.
Lavoy

Alwaysthehardway
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Alwaysthehardway » Fri May 13, 2005 8:00 pm

I did find a 2nd link that's got a couple cracks in it on one side. It's about 4 links away from the broken off one. I'm not sure if that's a sign of things to come or not?? Other than those 2 locations it has some wear, but overall I'd call it useable... I could take some pic's tomorrow and email them to you for your opinion if you'd like? I'm not sure what the going rate is on a chain these days?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 13, 2005 8:36 pm

Unless the chain is really thin, no reason to replace it. Also no reason that a good weld should not hold either. It is not that uncommon to find a cracked link every so often. It will occur more oftenon worn rails, and on loader crawlers.
Send me a pic.
Lavoy