Distributor??? Lavoy, help!

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:48 pm

Gary,

From what you are describing you probably found your gremlin.
Yeah, sometimes the basic things are the ones that come back and bite you. Where I work we always try to teach technicians to use a systematic approach.
1. Verify compliant
2. List conditions that cause compliant (under load or no load, smoke or no smoke, when cold or hot, going downhill or uphill, when turning left or right, etc, etc)
3. Find out if any recent repairs were done to unit
4. List all possible causes (even the most simple ones)
5. Start with easiest possible cause and eliminate as problem, than go on to next easiest one until cause is found
7. Repair problem
9. Verify repair cured problem
Even with the new electronic engines the most basic mechanical items are usually overlooked (like engine does not run and cause is no fuel in tank).

Look at it this way, it was a learning experience and you will find it sooner next time.

Keep smiling.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:40 pm

Don,

You are, of course, dead bang right. Organization has never been one of my strong points, and spreading a project like this over months doesn't help.

I probably could come up with a bunch of excuses, but that's exactly what they would be. One biggy, though, is that I have never before been this far into a real engine.

Yes, it's a learning experience, and I do enjoy it...most of it.

I like to think that, if I work alone, I make no mistakes...at least none that anyone else might notice.

In this case, not true.

Point of interest, the .41 mag is one of my favorite cartridges, or was. With tri-focals, I can no longer sees sights and targets at the same time. Life marches on.

Thanks,

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:03 pm

Gary,
Your spam blocker must be knocking out my e-mails, I have gotten at least 3 back undelivered.
I should have most of the parts you sent me ? about on hand. Check your governor weights, they should not have enough slop to touch the gear washer or no washer I am guessing.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:18 pm

Lavoy,

I don't know what's happening with the email. I shut off the spam blocker that was causing the trouble. I will have to work with that some more.

The weights will nick the cam gear when the washer is not in place. They will not when the washer is installed. There is a little bit of noticable slop with the weights, but I don't know what might be acceptable.

If they are available, I could install them while installing the bushings.

I don't need any gaskets.

I may be confusing some stuff on the list, now, but it should be as follows.

Governor rebuild kit with or without weights.

Distributor cap and rotor.

plug and coil wires.

regulator.

Amp gauge.

Heat gauge.

that should be all.

I will try to enter your email on the "friend" list of the offending program. Might help even if it is off. I will also check the blocked list on the old program.

Gary

OK, I just went back and shut off all the spam blockers for a bit. You might check and make sure my address is correct: ggfossen@earthlink.net