What is this noise?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 am

Tim,

When I lifted/removed my 420, I bent a chain link, and bolted into the head bolt holes. I don't know if that's correct, or not, but it worked for me. I had taken off most of the extra stuff to reduce the weight. I did not, however, pull the pan before it was on the stand. The inside stuff would be, at least in my opinion, a little too vulnerable that way.

Also, in some earlier threads, one of the guys suggested, almost demanded, that the head bolts be broke loose before the block is removed from the tractor. It's a really good idea. Otherwise, they would be hard to handle, even on an engine stand.

In passing, it is best to have all installed bolts lubricated before final tightening with the torque wrench. If they are dry, or dirty, they won't reach full torque specs.

The center of mass, on the block, is a little deceptive because of the extreme weight of the flywheel.

With the exception of head bolts, I replaced nearly all with new. They are all standard sizes, and I buy bulk from a local wholesale outfit. Maybe 40% less compared to a handfull from the local hardware store.

A lot of the gaskets can be made, but not the head, carb, and manifold. For that reason, I would recommend a gasket kit. Lavoy has them. I did have to make a few because I did stupid things, particularly with the governor.

Gary

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:55 am

Gary, that is one of my problems. My engine doesn't need a rebuild and I wont be removing the head (this time anyway). It runs clean and powerful. I saw the engine in the show and tell area but that is a diesel.

I wondered if I have to make a chain sling or something like that? Sounds dangerous to me not to attach to a bolt. I will be removing the water pump, but I didn't know if I could use that as a mount point. If I remove the valve cover are there places that I can hook to?
1958 440ic with blade

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:01 am

Cool. Just looked in the service manual and there is a massive eye bolt pictured in the engine removal section. I can't tell where it is supposed to be put in. Does anybody know what size this would be and where it goes? I'll have to look at my engine again to see if this is obvious.
1958 440ic with blade

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:04 am

As far as lifting the engine, Deere says you can lift from just the front valve cover bolt using an eyebolt. I have always been a little uncomfortable with that, but it is shown in the manuals. What I use is a flat strap with holes drilled in it so that you can hook to both of the valve cover bolts. The I welded a strap perpendicular between the bolts and put a hole in the middle for a clevis. Hook you cherry picker to the clevis and away you go. I have lifted more engine than I remember this way, and it works fine. You may have to remove the valve cover due to clearance problems with the breather tube and/or too short bolts, but that is no big deal.
Lavoy

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:05 am

Going at this backwards, if I read the factory engine install notes it says to remove the eye bolt and install the rocker arm cover stud. So, if I wanted to use this as a lift point I would remove the rocker arm cover stud (whatever that is) and put a large eye bolt in there?
1958 440ic with blade

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:08 am

Lavoy wrote:As far as lifting the engine, Deere says you can lift from just the front valve cover bolt using an eyebolt. I have always been a little uncomfortable with that, but it is shown in the manuals. What I use is a flat strap with holes drilled in it so that you can hook to both of the valve cover bolts. The I welded a strap perpendicular between the bolts and put a hole in the middle for a clevis. Hook you cherry picker to the clevis and away you go. I have lifted more engine than I remember this way, and it works fine. You may have to remove the valve cover due to clearance problems with the breather tube and/or too short bolts, but that is no big deal.
Lavoy

Lavoy, I also picked up an engine leveler which will do something similar to what you describe instead of welding the bracket. I'll remove the valve cover and see what my options are. Not sure where that rocker arm stud is but it must be near the rocker arm :).
1958 440ic with blade

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:08 am

Tim,

I guess I was using a little over-kill when I used the head bolts, but I tend towards caution when I don't know what I'm doing.

I did not have a leveler, but I did buy one for my son when I bought his engine hoist, and he swears by it. I can see where it would be handy. More so on car engines that may have to be dropped in at an angle, and then leveled, but it would tend to correct the balance on the tractor engine when you install it.

It is good that your engine runs well. Mine was a mess.

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:34 am

The rocker arm stud is the same as the valve cover stud. Look at the top of your valve cover and you will see the two studs sticking through the valve cover.
Engine leveler will work, only thing I would worry about is the angle brackets on the ends of the chains putting side torque on the studs as you lift if you lift from the valve cover bolts.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:39 am

Tim-

I've always been hesitant to attach engine hoist chains to anything other than hardened bolts. I haven't pulled one of these engines so can't give you any specific help, but on truck and car engines I have either used intake manifold molts or head bolts. My Chevy engines actually have lifting brackets which are nothing more than a small piece of rectangular steel with a 90 degree bend that have a hole for the chain to attach around and a smaller hole to bolt the bracket to one of the beforementioned bolt holes.

Whatever you do, make sure the attaching points balance the engine level (generally attach diagonall across top of enginer) or it will be more difficult to pull it out straight. The leveler would help in that regard.

I always leave the oil pan on until it is on the stand and ready for work- as mentioned before there is too much risk for damage.

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:10 pm

Lavoy wrote:The rocker arm stud is the same as the valve cover stud. Look at the top of your valve cover and you will see the two studs sticking through the valve cover.
Engine leveler will work, only thing I would worry about is the angle brackets on the ends of the chains putting side torque on the studs as you lift if you lift from the valve cover bolts.
Lavoy
Lavoy, my leveler just has chains, no angles. Do you use special eye loops or other bolts when you do this or do you just back the existing bolt out so you can attach with that?

If you use a special eye bolt where do you get them?
1958 440ic with blade

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:13 pm

I use the flat plate I described above, that is all I have ever used.
Lavoy