Track tension bolts

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
420C-Mike
420 crawler
420 crawler

Track tension bolts

Post by 420C-Mike » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:49 pm

I am rebuilding my track system. The tension bolts (1"x25') have some bad threads. Any suggestions? should I buy new bolts and remount the springs? Fastenal has some grade 8 long bolts or are the other sources?

Mike

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Track tension bolts

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm

You can chase the threads and try it. Correct bolts are not available.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

420C-Mike
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 420C-Mike » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:55 am

Thanks Lavoy
I assumed the correct bolts are no longer available. Unfortunately, some threads have been completely worn off on one side for over an inch in length and bent bolts make turning the nuts extremely difficult even where threads exist. Fortunately I have 6 spring assemblies from which to make usable units. All is removed from the undercarriage so I have good access to make something work. I am also refurbishing the front idlers and replacing the standard units with oversize prior to repinning the tracks. Missing one oil seal, two others are split but usable with grease. Still deciding what to do for the third (compress the springs in place and fill with grease or bite the bullet and buy a new seal)

Progress continues albeit slowly!!
Mike

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:09 am

I have new seals in stock.
One thing I have had to do in the past is have a machine shop thread 1" shaft the same lengths as the original bolt. Thread one end only a deep as a nut, weld it on, and sand the end off, and it looks so close to original that you can't tell. Only thing I don't like is the originals were zinc plated, so should send them out for plating would be best.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

420C-Mike
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 420C-Mike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Has anyone used a threaded 1" rod to replace the spring tension bolts? I can get 3 foot threaded rod with a yield strength of 105,000 psi (slightly better than grade 5)

Lavoy- I will give you a call regarding the seals and update on repinning the tracks

Mike

Kendive
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kendive » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 am

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, new to most social interaction instigated by the tips of my fingers and a keyboard. More of a hands on sort. Anyway, thought I might try to learn something and perhaps help others when I can. I have a couple of 420 crawlers, one has become a parts bin, the other needs to help me with some logging and dirt work pretty soon.

I am not ready to replace the track adjustment bolts just yet so, as a stopgap, I made a few slip on washers of different thickness and jacked the slack out. Then I slipped the washers over the rusted bolts, crimped the washers slightly so they won't fall off, and backed off the jack. Working well so far but when I do replace them I'll probably go the galvanized bolt route.

Currently the crawler is in pieces, engine and winch (Gearmatic 8A) re-build, undercarriage can wait. Finding most of the parts needed, making some others, however, the crank and timing gear elude me. If anyone has a line on finding these parts in new or "usable used" condition please let me know.

Respectfully,

Ken

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 am

Has anyone used a threaded 1" rod to replace the spring tension bolts? I can get 3 foot threaded rod with a yield strength of 105,000 psi (slightly better than grade 5)
I have used them on my 40. I have had no problems as far as bending or failing in any way. I will say though I have not adjusted them for a long time, so I don't know if a problem will arise when I have to. I did use all original nuts on them, not new ones that are thicker.

Mark;
Mark Birdeau: