Buying and owning 440, 1010, 2010 pitfalls??

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
doc_dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Buying and owning 440, 1010, 2010 pitfalls??

Post by doc_dozer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:09 pm

I am looking for a smaller dozer for light hobby farm work ( pushing dirt, grading the road). That means there has to be some coolness factor to it. I definitely don't want a project - I have too many farmalls that need restoration plus a '49 IH flatbed and two cars. Working on something as needed is fine. Heck, every piece of farm equipement I have is old and needs something.

I want diesel too so when the dino juice is too expensive I can keep running. Soooo. Parts. I realize parts are running out and undercarrriages are expensive. What other problems are there with the above machines. For example, Wengers (of Myerstown) has a nice looking 440 (but I don't know anything about the condition of the machine - yet, plus, I think it's gas) for what I think is way too much money ($8500).

Is there a maintenance or parts advantage to the above? sorry, long winded but inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks,
Charley
Johnson City, TN

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:18 pm

In terms of parts, the 2010 and 1010 are a little poorer on parts availability at least from Deere. The 440 is better, but as the years go on, that will decline as well.
440 uses a Detroit diesel, so parts can darn near be bought at Wal-mart, 1010/2010 are largely a Deere only deal especially the diesels.
The main problem on the 2010 will be sprockets and front idlers. Rails, pads, and rollers are no problem, upper idlers can be sporadic, but so far so good. Late 440 sprockets are a problem now, but not insurmountable. All of the above can be converted to 350 rails if accuracy is not a concern, so don't worry about that.
All in all, it will kind of be personal preference, or maybe what oppurtunity presents itself as to which one you choose.
As to Wenger's price, that may or may not be out of line. If it is in line, there better be butthole deep in undercarraige, and a stack of work orders and receipts for work done.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:23 pm

$8500 sure seems like a bunch of money for a 440. I'm with Lavoy; unless they can show you a stack of receipts and work orders, it's time to move on. You can buy a working 350 around here for $6500 so $8500 for a gas 440 seems insane.

I just bought a 1010 here in WI for $2500. It's not a perfect crawler by any means and I specifically picked it up as a project. However, it does run and most features work so it might give you a rough idea. I posted an ad in the Wisconsin State Farmer newspaper for a working 440 or 1010 up to $3000 depending on condition and got more calls than I could keep track of. Ended up with a crawler 6 miles from the house and the seller delivered it as part of the deal.

I shopped a number of 440s as well and it seems like in some respects it'd been the better choice. The Detroit Diesel parts are easy to come by and available from multiple sources so you can shop around. The 1010 has what is called a "sleeve deck" engine with parts only available from Deere. Haven't found things too reasonably priced at the sign of the running deer.

Best of luck on finding your crawler. I'm pretty new to this myself but I got some great advice from Lavoy and the other folks on the board. If you search the topics, you'll see some good posts and links on evaluating crawlers; particularly undercarriages.
Bill Wattson

doc_dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by doc_dozer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:29 am

thanks guys!
Charley