My JD 440IC Repair Progress

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

My JD 440IC Repair Progress

Post by hunter41mag » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:19 am

Hi,
Finally got the broken bolt drilled out and threads cleaned up for the left rear engine mount (the two 3/4" bolts that go into cluth housing). Would not have been able to do it with the frame rail in place. So it is good that I pulled it off to get the left steering clutch housing off so I than could pull the quill housing to change diff seal.
If Lavoy had not told me that the quill housings will come off with the steering clutch housing in place I would have also removed the right frame rail to change the right side diff seal inside the quill housing. But even with rear diff cover removed and a portapower pushing on qill housing it still took me 3-4 hrs to get it out with the clutch housing on. I had to loosen the 4 bolts holding the clutch housing and put pressure on quill housing with portapower and than use a swing press to the clutch housing (I protected clutch housing with another piece of metal and used wood between diff/quill and portapower). I worked up a sweat but it was worth the effort. Now to finish cleaning up parts and re-assemble and have it running in time for turkey day.
Also Lavoys clutch setting gauge works great. Having the 3 clutch fingers all at the same correct height will sure save time when it comes to initial setup.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC