junked 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

junked 1010

Post by Mark Birdeau » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am

I picked up a 1010 gas a couple months back as scrap. I'm pretty sure the only thing wrong was the engine was froze. After 3-4 weeks of soaking and some heating and then more soaking of the pistons I got them all out. Number one was the worse as far as being stuck and amount of visible rust. I had drained about 9 quarts of coolant from the oil pan. The oil itself was not milky and not even very dirty, so I don't think it ever ran with the coolant in the oil. I've had water in it for several days and can't see a leak any where. I would have thought that if it ran in while it was setting out in the woods it would leak some where now. It does look to have a crack in the # 1 sleeve, but I can't tell for sure. Has anyone ever tried to weld a cracked sleeve? The crack (if it is one) is below where the rings run, so it's not under cylinder pressure. I was thinking though that the weld may expand and contract at a different rate then the sleeve itself and just re-crack. What do you all think?

I don't want to spend to much on the engine because I don't know for sure if there are any other serious problems. I couldn't get any info from the previous owner, all he would say is that it was junk and he wanted it out of his woods.

How hard is it to find a used engine for one of these, and what kind of price might I have to pay?

Mark;
Mark Birdeau:

Steelburner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: junked 1010

Post by Steelburner » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:29 pm

I'll throw my $0.02 in. I rebuilt a 1010 gas engine for my machine a couple years ago. I think there is a post somewhere if you want to do a search. Anyway, I figure it cost me about $3000 when it was all said and done. It sneaks up on you with $200 here and $300 there charges. I also had to replace the deck and cylinder assembly, which was about $1400 all by itself. Welding the sleeve will not work in my opinion as I think they are cast iron brazed to a mild steel deck. There are parts available, but you will have to search for them. Beware of scammers. Also, keep in mind that I did all the work myself with the guidance of the service manual. That kept the price down. I don't think I could have afforded to pay someone to do the work. Its a simple and robust engine, but often neglected way beyond what it should have been. In my case, the rings were so wore down, there was almost no compression at all. The engine still ran, and ran well, but had no power. The previous owner was dumping used oil into it because he felt the machine wasn't worth better. Shame. Good luck.
Late model 1010 crawler loader