Where to start? Suggestions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

Where to start? Suggestions

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey guys. I am going to start the total restoration of my 420 this winter. I am trying to get a plan of attack. The top of my worry list is that the inspection covers were left off the finals for quite some time. Looks very rusty in there. How long would you guy soak them with trans and diesel before attempting to get in there and make thing work again? As most of us I am not well financed as I just built a home and have the fourth child on the way. But would like to get this crawler back to its old glory. Also I may be in need of a carb and dist. for this. Anyone have a reasonable deal on these? Thanks Joe
Joe Hartman - JD 420C 5 roller, 4spd, reverser. Henery Loader and Backhoe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:34 pm

Soaking will be a waste of time, there is nothing it will loosen up that can be reused anyhow. Pull the finals off and then you can get a good look at what is damaged.
Lavoy

sbarr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by sbarr » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:29 pm

A word of advice ,rebuild everything then when you are done your restoration you can't say I wish I had or I should have done that..
58 420c w 61 blade and 3pth and pto,57 420c w loader,48 D,48 M,Allis D-15 and a Super Duty to haul these!!!!

mikes420c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by mikes420c » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:09 pm

I just went through a 420 crawler completely. Purchased it with a busted final drive housing. But the more you looked at it at and inspected, there was more that needed repair / replacement. It wound up being a 4 year project and a lot of money. It now has every bolt new, except the engine bolts, replaced along with all new bearings and seals throughout throughout the crawler. But It has been very rewarding because it runs and steers like a brand new one. There is one approx. 40 miles from where I live that has a bad bearing in the transmisson and the sad part is you have to almost completely disassemble to replace bearing. So that really justified my case ( to my wife ) of completely tearing mine down knowing now that everything was approx. 50 years old when torn down, and me now being 46, 50 years from now, it will be someone elses problem. Lavoy sure was a lifesaver with his knowledge and parts availability. This crawler is now one of my prize possesions.

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Joe,

I've been working on a '56 420c for about a year. I'm nearing the end. For green paint, I used rattle cans from Ace Hardware. Seems to be a very close match, and about 1/2 the price of Deere. Nearly everything on mine needed some sort of attention.

Nearly all the internal parts have come from Lavoy, and most of my advice. We have a local bone yard that has helped a lot with missing heavy metal.

I converted to 350 tracks and sprockets. I added a 350 ROPS (steep rocky country in southern Oregon).

Due to bad planning, mistakes, and ignorance, I have removed several parts more than once. Go slow and easy, and double check. Most of the actual mechanicing is relatively simple and easy.

I did get a clutch adjustment gauge from Lavoy. I recommend it. I built such things as the clutch centering tool from old bolts and plastic pipe. A good big scrap pile is handy.

Good Luck

Gary