40C Transmission Stuck

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jdelo2755
MC crawler
MC crawler

40C Transmission Stuck

Post by Jdelo2755 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:18 pm

I have a 40 project that i have been slowly working on over some time. I went to start it last week and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. I couldn't turn the motor over by hand either. Pushed the clutch in and the motor would start fine. But when you let the clutch out with it running, it would bog down. Pulled the top cover off the transmission thinking that it might have slipped into two gears at the same time. All the gears were in neutral. I can wigged the output shaft a little until it hits the gears on the other shafts. I can do the same with the input shaft, but it is tighter.

To add confusion to this, about a week before the PTO shaft started staying on all the time. The transmission was full of water from sitting outside for several years. There are two clusters of gears in the transmission that are mounted on bearings; one for 1st gear on the input shaft and one for reverse the PTO Shaft. I am thinking the bearings might have seized not letting the gears turn on the shaft.

Would i be wasting my time to fill the transmission full of oil to try to free those gears up or is it worth a shot? I just put my rebuilt motor in and just last week put my finals back in with new clutches. Tearing that transmission down looks like a nightmare. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for any helpful pointers.
1955 40C
1956 420C
1958 JD 420W
1958 JD 620

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 40C Transmission Stuck

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 am

You have a bad bearing some place. If it is the bearing inside of the cluster stuck, oil will not get rid of the rust even if it breaks free. You will still have the rust there, and when it piles up and jams the needle bearings in there, the failure will be spectacular.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com