1010 engine swap

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

1010 engine swap

Post by Mark Birdeau » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:30 am

Has anyone done or know if a gas engine from a model 40 combine can be swapped into a 1010. The parts books show them as the same block number, but I do see a few differences over all. The biggest being the oil fills through the valve cover on the combine and it has a fuel pump about where the crawler fills. I'm thinking though that the fuel pump can be removed and the filler from the crawler installed instead.

It sure would be nice to be able to swap them rather then over hauling my previously frozen engine. I'm hoping to get the engine (if it will work) for less then gaskets and rings. Below is link to my previous post on this crawler.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12305

A little additional info on the previous post. After a clean up the cylinder wasn't cracked, but I did get a little leak. It was up high so it still wouldn't explain 9 qts. of coolant in the oil. What it was, some one must have put in a little to long of a bolt (or over torqued it) in the rocker arm and punched out the bottom. I put a bolt in the hole and it stopped the leak.

Mark;
Mark Birdeau:

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 1010 engine swap

Post by original possum » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:49 am

You can trade as long as the block is the same. Just make sure you swap all the right parts, as you have seen.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks, original possum. I guess right now the biggest thing that I'm worried about is if the flywheel will bolt up. That and the owner gets it out before it rains a bunch and then freezes and cracks something. (the top radiator hose is missing) He had drained the coolant (I don't know why) and I forgot to look to see if he left the drain open.
Mark Birdeau:

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 am

Update on the engine swap.

So far so good. There have been a few miner problems though, not a direct swap like I have read elsewhere. I had to shorten the dowel in the crank by about 1/2 in order to bolt the flywheel on. Also had to remove the hollow dowels from the front pump mount as the combine block had no provision for them. There are at least a couple more things to overcome that I can see at this time. The biggest is the exhaust location. It looks like my hood is going to receive an extra hole. The crawler manifold is not in the best of shape so I don't think I want to swap them.(plus the chance of breaking bolts doesn't appeal to me either) Also the governors are different so I'm going to have to figure out a different throttle linkage. The crawler links to the governor lever and the combine links to the throttle shaft. May find other problems yet, probably after engine is back in the crawler. Waiting on a few parts now, will update again when finished.
Mark Birdeau:

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Update:
I'm finally getting around to installation, so far not to bad. (not counting working from the side with a front end loader that won't hold for more then a minute or two) The biggest problem as of now was the backing plate. Before I installed the flywheel I made sure all the holes lined up with the one from the 1010, but I didn't think to check the size. The 4 bottom holes on the combine are 3/8ths and the crawler takes 7/16ths. I was able to drill out 2 of the holes for the larger bolts. For the other 2, I was able to get a tap in and tap the backing plate for the 7/16ths. I also had to use the generator and brackets from the combine, but the adjusting bracket was mounted to were the crawler bracket would have mounted. I did have to change the manifolds, it seems I forgot a little thing called a gas tank. The combine exhaust side of the manifold exits further back and closer to the head then the crawler does. It was cheaper to buy a set of manifold gaskets then to buy a couple of elbows to clear the tank.

I'll probably wait until I'm finished to do another update. One thing I should mention though, is that some of what I'm having to do may be dependent on serial number. My 1010 is a earlier model, 222900 + but under 223000. Looking at pictures (not part numbers) in the parts books, it looks like the later crawlers may be more like the combine engine. (or at least the one I have)
Mark Birdeau:

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 pm

It runs!!! :D

After a couple days of rain (working on it out in the yard) I was finally able to get back to work on it. Between it being a year since I took it apart and redoing some of the repairs that previous owners had made, (had to completely rewire it, among other things) it took quite a few hours for the installation and preparations to start it. I don't know if it will move or steer yet as I have more to do before I get to that point.

A few of the other things I needed to do for the swap are: Changed the valve cover. The combine had the oil filler/ breather on it. Removed the fuel pump (not needed) and installed the crawler oil filler in it's place. Used the crawler carb. but installed the combine throttle shaft in it. I could have used the combine carb. and not have had to change shafts but the crawler carb. has a load/ high speed adjuster and the combine one doesn't. The two engines had different size throttle linkage rods so I cut the crawler rod in half, threaded the end and installed a 1 3/4 in. long nut on it. Then cut the combine rod to length and welded a 5/16ths. bolt to it to screw into the long nut. That way I had about 1/2 in. or better adjustment on it. I used the dip stick from the crawler, they are the same down in the pan but the crawler one is longer on top, so it's easier to get at between the filter and hydraulic reservoir.

One thing that I didn't do but probably should have was to change the oil pan.(to cheap to buy a new gasket) The combine exits out the front of the low part of sump and had a hose on it for remote access. I figure I'll cut a hole in the belly pan to route it out the side and if that won't work I can still change it.

Naturally one of the problems of buying a none runner has already shown up. It has a oil leak in one of the reverser lines. It would have been fairly easy to repair with the engine out if I had known about it, but not so easy now. If I think of anything else that had to be done I'll update again, but I think that's everything. I'll also let you all know if it does move and steer.
Mark Birdeau:

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Glad it is coming together for you. Its your machine but I would think twice before having an oil drain hose hanging out the belly pan on a crawler.

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Jim B, I have given that a lot of thought. One thing is that I don't see it getting that much use, especially were it would be a big concern. Although what I"ll probably do is just have the hole out the side, but leave the hose laying on the inside.

On the brighter side of things, it does move forward, backwards, left and right. I guess now I can finish the assembly.
Mark Birdeau: