understanding of steering clutches

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Joe Iannitto
420 crawler
420 crawler

understanding of steering clutches

Post by Joe Iannitto » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:32 pm

Being new to owning a 1010c, I started with the service manual and I need some one to tell me if my understanding of steering clutches is correct.
In theory if I start the dozer and put it in gear it would go in streight line because equal force is applied to both tracks. If I pull back half way on a steering lever the I would declutch that side by releasing the pressure on the clutch pack. The dozer would would make a gradual arc due to the fact only one track is driving. As I pull back harder I apply the brake thus making a harder turn.
I may have missed the next point in the service manual, but I should not have to muscle the steering lever back to make turn. The only adjustment I would have without tearing down the drives should be the brake bands?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 pm

You are correct. In some circumstances the crawler will roll straight even if you have one side clutched out.
The are a couple of adjustments, one is the brake, the other is the throwout bearing adjustment which the manual will explain.
Lavoy

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:08 am

Joe-

When the clutches and brakes for steering are adjusted correctly, the crawler will turn with out and excessive amount of input. I wrestled mine when I first got it and then decided to take the one side apart that didn't do as well as the other. Well.. needless to say after getting one side put together correctly I immediately pulled the other side apart.

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.