420 steering clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
SVcattle
MC crawler
MC crawler

420 steering clutch

Post by SVcattle » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Getting to start rebuilding my 420 . The right hand clutch needs some work it hasn’t disengaged in a lot of years even before I parked becuse it was in a bad need of an engine overhaul . Anyway when you pull the lever for the clutch it just pops . I’m guessing but looking at the manual that the cam rides on the balls and that causes the cam to push the throw out bearing to disengage the clutch ? Is that right ? If so Is my cam bad or have the balls fell out? Also how do I post a picture?
Thanks

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: 420 steering clutch

Post by Ray III » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:12 am

I think I found that someone had put smaller balls in there, resulting in the pop from overtravel. It could also be the clutch fingers are adjusted too far in, requiring you to move the bearing too far out.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:07 am

Good morning SVcattle,

Welcome. As for posting photos this site has a designated picture server due to the number of photos lost due to changes with third party hosts. You will need to send Lavoy an email at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com and ask him to set up you up a user account. It requires a separate log in. He will need a user name and password, you can use the same ones as for this forum if you want to, to set you up. There are several posts in the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements section about the picture server and using it, that will explain in more detail.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:07 am

On your steering questions. Yes the cam action moves the throw out bearing to the pressure plate and there may be an issue there. There is an adjustment procedure for the rod between the lever and cam that would have been done at assembly. There is an adjustment to the throwout bearing itself to set lever free play. This one is a normal service adjustment as the steering clutches wear. Have you ever adjusted the steering clutch throwout bearing and brake by the written procedure? I have known of a throwout bearing adjustment slipping. I would check that to see if there is a difference in operation after adjustment before going tearing it down. Which manuals do you have and which manual are you looking at? Its a starting point so people know they are looking at the same info as you are.

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JimAnderson » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:41 pm

First issue is that the clutch has not disengaged in years.When you pull on the steering clutch handle you hear a pop.The throw out balls are ramping out of their pockets.If totally stock then the throwout bearing is not where it needs to be.If you live in a region of the world where the relative humidity is fairly high the steels in the clutch will rust and swell causing the clutch fingers to retreat from the bearing.Time to pull it down and redo the clutch pack.
4 430C crawlers
1 40c 3 rollers
1 420c 5 roller
1 440c loader
1 430t tractors
1 IH H
1 3020 JDs
I Ford 3400 loaders
2 IH Cubs
6 WH GardenTractors

SVcattle
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by SVcattle » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks for the replies I have adjusted according to the manual . I guess when I get the final drive off we’ll know what is going on

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:29 am

If the balls come out of the cups, the brake is grossly out of adjustment, no way a properly adjusted clutch/brake can come back that far. This will have nothing to do with stuck clutches not releasing if that is what you end up finding.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com