1010 Crawler loader diesel engine oil recommendations

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
LGreen
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 Crawler loader diesel engine oil recommendations

Post by LGreen » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello from a newbie to the forum as well as to the crawler world,

I'm going to change the oil in the newly acquired 1010C loader diesel and was wondering what you folks recommend for engine oil. I was assuming a NAPA brand 15W-40 for diesel would work, but didn't know what is preferred. I am in Michigan where we do get a tad bit cold, and am planning on using it to haul some firewood out of the woods this winter.

What a cool machine this 1010 is, and for somebody that never used or owned a crawler, this is going to be fun. I can see a new battery is in order and possibly some glow plugs, fuel filters, etc. But, all in all, it seems to do the trick right good. I have a parts and service manual, so that's a big help as well.

Thanks for your help and pardon the simple question!!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010 Crawler loader diesel engine oil recommendations

Post by Jim B » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:36 am

Welcome to the forum,

I run 15W/40 year round in my machines. Years ago, when I worked on road construction equipment, we used to run 30 weight in the summer and change to 10 weight in the winter, that phased out fairly quickly as the multi-vis 15W/40 became common. The synthetic 15W-40 is a bit better starting in extreme cold.

If you will be keeping it where power is available I would recommend installing an engine heater, if it doesn't have one. I have coolant heaters on the ones I plan to start in the winter. Plug them in for an hour or so and they start easily . It is much easier on them not to have to use starting fluid or do a lot of cranking. I prefer in-block heaters when available. I think a tank type heater is the best option available for a 1010.

Clean your tracks after you use it to prevent freezing the undercarriage parts up. Top rolls can be flat spotted and other damage can occur. A track spade is a handy tool to have for this task. If parking it on ground or snow where the tracks could freeze down, run it up on something (a few sticks of pulp wood, etc., anything to separate at least most of the pads from the ground) when you are done with it. A lot of damage has been done by people powering frozen machines free. Mine sets in an unheated barn with a dirt floor and I keep planks under the tracks in the winter.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am

Second on the 15W-40. If you want to run synthetic, then 5W-40 like Rotella T6, Mobil Delvac !, etc.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

LGreen
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by LGreen » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Thank you very much for the information---I'll buy some oil here shortly and I'll look into those heaters as well. I believe the tank heaters you speak of have the small "can" or tank on the outside and somehow tap into the cooling system?

Thanks again and what a great website---very helpful for those of us new to the crawlers!!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Your description of the heater is correct. 1000 to 1500 watt size would be plenty. I believe the current one of that type John Deere has for engines the size of yours is 1500 watts. Your parts book should show the engine heater option (that part number shows as No Longer Available) to give you an idea of the piping involved. Lavoy may have that type heater, or another he recommends, for sale and can tell you exactly where to make the connections on your engine.
Jim

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:37 am

You really should not use starting fluid on a 1010. It can cause expensive damage to the engine. If you feel you have to use it, start cranking first and add a very minimal spray. Don't forget the air and starting fluid are pulled thru an oil bath filter so, if you spray a lot of fluid, it will build up a little in the oil before traveling onward to the cylinders. Then, before you know it, you've gotten too much drawn into the cylinders and either locked up the engine and /or broken rings or bent rods or popped holes in the top of the pistons. There should be a primer on the dash to feed more fuel into the cylinders for better starting a cold engine. There are also glow plugs to preheat but, I don't think you should use the glow plugs and the primer together. Maybe BOOM!
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

LGreen
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by LGreen » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Copy that on the starting fluid---sounds like they can be a bit destructive if one dumps too much down the hatch!!

I keep the crawler in a garage that's heated to about 50 degrees, so now I'm wondering if I had one of those heaters if I'd even need the use of the glow plugs or the staring fluid. So far as I've read, the 1010 is a tough start when cold without the glow plugs but if I ran the heater for an hour before use I'm wondering if that'd do the job........plus would be handy if I had to park it outside!!

Thanks again for all the information!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 am

It will definitely help, but a 1010 is supposed to be glow plugged on a 70 degree day, so no reason not to use the glow plugs.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:45 pm

I also don't think it is a problem to prime and then glow plug the engine- diesel is not near as flammable as gasoline so risk of an explosion without compression is low and the glow plugs are meant to turn on automatically with the ignition so it would be inevitable that you would glow after priming anyhow. Lavoy may say different but that is my understanding.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:50 am

Nothing wrong with priming. Deere did not recommend it til below a certain temp along with increased glow plug time.
Lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 am

Ran an old Austin - Western grader for a friend of mine building his one mile long driveway... It required running the glowplugs on a 90°F day. If it dropped into the 40's you had to tarp the engine compartment, and run a turbo heater to get it started. No starter fluid allowed, as it was next to impossible to find parts for that engine. Plus having to heat it made the use of it, dicey.
The guy who bought it from him thinks it had the wrong head on it, the engine block came in two different displacement versions. The heads would interchange but put the head for larger displacement engine on the smaller displacement engine and it would lower the compression ratio, making it difficult to start. Ran alright but did not seem to have the power it should have had.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

LGreen
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by LGreen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Ok great. Thanks all for the information and it looks like I'll have to do some investigating as to whether these glow plugs work or not!

Thanks again!!