40c steering pressure plate adjustments frozen

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Sonneson
MC crawler
MC crawler

40c steering pressure plate adjustments frozen

Post by Sonneson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi All, I have a 40C that I was having a steering issue on. I have removed the final and clutches. the stack of clutches and steels are within the tolerances that I found on a different thread however the steels are crusty. so I have a couple of questions.

can I sand or wire brush them or do they need to be replaced?

My big issue is freeing up the adjusters on the pressure plate. I've been soaking them. can I put a torch to where they thread in, or will I damage the friction surface? Anyone come a crossed this before?
1 420C with the Sonneson Blade that my Grandfather manufactured.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 40c steering pressure plate adjustments frozen

Post by Jim B » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:32 pm

To work properly and get the best life they should be replaced. I wouldn't mess with a pressure plate that is seized up either. Its a fair bit of work, and it could be more expensive, to pull it back apart if the used and new parts don't play well together. Lavoy has a post "New lower prices on steering clutch kits" on the "Lavoy's Little Shop O' Deeres" forum regarding the parts he has available. You may be ahead of the game with his kit than trying to piecemeal it. Give him a call or send an email to him at: postmaster@jdcrawlers.com .

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JimAnderson » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:16 pm

I concur with the previous post.Ditch the pressure plate.For over 30 years I have dealt with rusted steels.They can be cleaned and reused.The biggest problem with the dry clutch system used on the 40c and newer is high humidity plus long unused times.Even new steels will lock up if not used on a regular basis.Washington is as humid as VA.I have never worn a steel below the limits but have had many lock up due to disuse.
4 430C crawlers
1 40c 3 rollers
1 420c 5 roller
1 440c loader
1 430t tractors
1 IH H
1 3020 JDs
I Ford 3400 loaders
2 IH Cubs
6 WH GardenTractors

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 am

If the clutch fiber plates are decent, I would clean up the steel plates and reuse. Just because the steel plates are a bit rusty, doesn't always mean replace. If they clean up good with a wire grinding wheel, you'll probably be OK. Doesn't sound like the pressure plate is frozen. Your post says it's the adjuster that's stuck. I'd put some heat to it to free it up. You can replace it if it goes awry. It's a judgement call. As you know, there's a bit of work involved if you have to go back in to install new parts.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Perhaps the larger question is how much work you are willing to do to save a few hundred dollars and run the risk of tearing it all apart for the second time to buy the same parts you could have bought the first time and save the rework. I don't like pulling finals, I like it even less when I have to redo it, which is exactly why I quit reusing clutch parts 25 years ago.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Sonneson
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Sonneson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Thank you all for the advice.I'll email you for some pricing then I'll check with the finance department and see If I can get approval.
1 420C with the Sonneson Blade that my Grandfather manufactured.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 am

Sounds good.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com