Single remote control valve

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
theshanmand1!
430 crawler
430 crawler

Single remote control valve

Post by theshanmand1! » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Hello all, happy new year.
I was plowing the driveway over the holidays when i looked over at the single remote control valve and noticed it was pouring hyd fluid out of the upper housing check valve port. New seals & snap rings are ordered. The lower port thermal relief valve has been missing since ive owned her, parts man said $560 so it will have to stay missing!
Can anyone enlighten me on its purpose & function? Blade goes up & down without it pretty good.
Thank you in advance for your wisdom.
You guys are the best!
yard dog
1958 4 Roller 4 speed Holt Blade Holt Winch
420 C
Industrial Yellow

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Single remote control valve

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Thermal Relief Valve - A valve which limits the pressure in a system caused by heat expansion of oil.

I don't have a good answer for you. I would say it may be there to release if a valve is held in too long after movement of the function has stopped causing the oil to heat as it passes through the main relief. The 420/430 manual I have mentions removing and installing the thermal relief valves but doesn't elaborate on their function. It also mention "if the valve has a thermal relief". To me that says they may have been built with and without. The main relief would take control pressure as normal. Just my thoughts, someone here will likely have a better answer for you.

Jim

theshanmand1!
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by theshanmand1! » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 am

Thanks Jim,
I also read, that some came with it & some did not, & how to service each.
Hard to believe that puppy is $560 @ JD parts house!
I am hopeful that a new seal will rectify the leak.
I have been researching brake band reline material & rivets, not having much luck finding a outlet here on the west coast, JD parts only sells bands complete $900!
Not stiener nor yesterdays tractor sell it.
Maybe im not asking for the brake band reline material by its correct name.
I have to chuckle when i tell these kids what im working on, they get the Deer in the headlight look, then they go get the old guy from the back that speaks my lingo!
Gotta love it!
Im going to research the dimensions needed & for each band & what type of material it is, or what they use in place of the original now days. Anyhow, thats on the ever growing list also!
Thanks again Jim you helped me.
yard dog
420 C
Industrial Yellow

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 am

I honestly think you will find Lavoy will do the best by you. He knows those machines, he has parts that are quality, he installs them on machines in his shop and certainly isn't using parts that will give him come backs. If you have questions or things don't seem to be going together right he has the knowledge to answer your questions. Those are two things you won't get from most of the parts sellers out there - their are just sellers. Their only product knowledge is what they read in their catalog or on their computer screen. You get what you pay for; sometimes. JMHO

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 am

Do you have a parts catalog or use the free on-line parts catalogs at JDParts Homepage? You should also have the operator's and service manuals if you don't have those. I believe Lavoy can help you out on those as well.

theshanmand1!
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by theshanmand1! » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Jim,
Yes Lavoy is the man, he has helped me out many times. Hoping he replies.
Yes i have a parts book & all service manuals.
For the 1956-1958 420C
yard dog
420 C
Industrial Yellow

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

Thermal relief is for expansion as the oil heats up. I have seen a hyd cylinder that blew up sitting on a fully restored 430 at the Expo once. When the valve is centered, there is no form of pressure relief in the lines to the cylinder, and what fails is the old low pressure cylinders, so they put pressure relief in the valves on the later crawlers. It will function fine without it, likely hood of blowing a cylinder is slim.
I have new brake bands in stock, along with the rest of the steering clutch parts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com