HLR slips

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hub1987
MC crawler
MC crawler

HLR slips

Post by hub1987 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am

Hey guys, I have a lot of mechanical experience on tractors, cars and dirt bikes, but crawlers are new for me. I understand how hydraulics and clutches normally work, but this HLR transmission has me confused. I have a 2010 diesel with the serial number 35042. I believe it sat for a while as I had to do some work to get it running correctly and adjust the steering clutches. The hyd were really slow and the oil was milky so I changed it, and cleaned the screen filter. The trans filter was missing, so I bought a new one and added new oil. Hyd work fine now. I took the main clutch cover off and it was packed full of mouse nest, so as you can imagine, the main clutch does not disconnect when I pull up on the lever. I would like to know where they got in there from? My problem is, after all of this I took it out back to push dirt around. at first the foot clutch didn't seem to do anything(or at least I didn't think it did). On my way out back, I noticed it wouldn't go up a small hill in reverse, or a 3rd gear. After a few minutes I found that when it won't move, If push in the foot clutch and it takes off and bogs the engine like I was trying to pull a wheely. I let the clutch out and it continues moving until I pull a lever to steer, then it slows again. Push in the foot clutch, and we are outta here. I am sure it isn't working correct, but I can't figure out why pushing the clutch in makes it take off? Any thoughts or things to check? Also, they hyd starting acting slow after about 1/2 hour, so I am going to clean the filter again this weekend. Do I need to drain the oil to get to the filters? thanks, Dan

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: HLR slips

Post by original possum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Is it engaging while the clutch is pushed in or as you let it out after pushing it in?
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

hub1987
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hub1987 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:00 pm

When I push the clutch down it engages. If I release the clutch it won't push dirt.

hub1987
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hub1987 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

When I push the clutch down it engages. If I release the clutch it won't push dirt.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:47 pm

I don't know the answer, but wonder if your HLR has an adjustment for the HLR valve; which has to be synchronized with the clutch pedal; the same as the later ones and that adjustment might be off. Do you have the service manual for your machine so you have the right dimensions and did you go through all the adjustments in the order described? Also sounds like something is connected backwards.

hub1987
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hub1987 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:57 am

I don't have a service manual, but I was thinking about looking for one. Does anyone have one to sell? I was thinking maybe a lever is on backwards, or way out of adjustment. I have found some other weird things on this dozer that were clearly not how they left the factory. Can anyone get me a picture of the arm/ linkage set up of one that works correctly?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 am

Getting yourself a manual will be a help with your problems. Contact Lavoy at: postmaster@jdcrawlers.com. He may be able to help you with manuals. John Deere has them for sale at http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com. eBay is another source. I prefer OEM or good quality reprints of the OEM manuals as the pictures in some reprints are poor, just my opinion.

From the John Deere Bookstore the manuals you need for a 2010 crawler are: Service manual - SM 2037 (SM2036 is for wheel tractors according to the JD site but it is very much the same). Operator's manual - There are two different ones depending on serial number and dozer or loader. It sounds like you have a dozer before serial number 042000; so OMT14693. Base crawler Parts catalog - PC 728. There some other manuals and parts catalogs for the different attachments (loader, dozer blades and ripper). You need to ID the models, of those that you have, to get the right manuals and parts catalogs for them. Parts catalogs are available free to view/use on-line at JDParts Homepage or JD Parts Advisor.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 pm

I am not sure if you have a dozer or loader attachment for your 2010, but many of the hydraulic systems (particularly for the loader cylinders) are isolated and from the HLR transmission with totally separate reservoirs. You can look at the "boxes" to each side of the seat pedestal and see if there is a hydraulic tank.

It is important to understand that the steering on a 2010 is completely mechanical and that each steering lever operates a small clutch and pressure plate that disengages each final drive from the HLR at the rear- it also operates a brake band against a brake drum. It has no connection to the left foot clutch pedal, but is connected to the right brake pedal on the right to each of the brake bands in the rear. The usual problem is that excessive rust/moisture/oil swells the fiber discs and causes the lever to not allow the steering clutch to disengage and thus stop movement of the final drive, and if the brake band is gone or rusted then won't allow additional steering ability. Pulling the steering levers should not have any impact at all on HLR operation, other than stuck brake bands without final drive disengagement would result in friction working against the steering clutch impact shafts and bog down the motor as would any resistance in the final drive and undercarriage system.

There is also a L shaped lever on the left floorboard- that is the HLR disconnect lever and it mechanically disengages the HLR from the engine for cold starting (and by extension disconnects everything behind the HLR including rear mounted hydraulic pumps for loaders).

There is another common issue with HLRs that are worn which is that when warm they can slip- not sure if that is playing into your problems as well or not.

As Jim B indicated you can look at the parts catalog free online (PC 0728) which helps you to understand the system- pages 84 and 86 would be helpful to you.

HLRs are also used on 450 crawlers, and I know somewhere on this board (unless they have been deleted) some people posted the test procedure and expected pressures in high low neutral and reverse. They would say that is the first thing you should do- there is a test port and you connect a pressure gauge and read the pressures in each of those before trying to diagnose anything else with the HLR. This is also laid out in the service manual.

Hope this helps- I am by no means a HLR expert but have seen enough of the posts to tell you that is the next step. I would search for those posts- type in "HLR test" or something similar.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

hub1987
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hub1987 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:32 am

Yeah, I understand the steering clutch operation. My point is that the dozer will move with the left clutch up, until it meets some sort of resistance. That may be a pile of dirt, going up a hill, or trying to turn. When I push the clutch pedal down, it bogs the motor and takes off like you lifted the clutch pedal. If I hold the clutch pedal down, it will push dirt until the it looses traction. It acts like the pedal is hooked up wrong. I was hoping I could get a pic of the linkage, I know it is a hard spot to photograph tho. I have not had time to take another look at the linkage to see if someone prior might have it backwards, but that is my next move. I ordered a service manual, hopefully that will get me answers. Thanks for the help.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:36 am

Dan,

I can't help you with a photo, but suggest you look at the free on line parts catalog.
Go to https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... andingPage . Put PC728 in the box for model and search. That should take you right to the parts catalog for your 2010. If it doesn't put 2010 in the model box and search that should give you a list of models with 2010 in the titles. pick the Loader, Crawler- PC728. When the catalog opens scroll down the list the clutch info starts on page 58 with the clutch housing. The pages following that will give you drawing and lists of the components and arrangements. Be sure to carefully read the titles and look at the ones for the HLR transmission. Carefully read the descriptions of the parts as well due to the fact that some of the drawings have parts for both transmissions in them, you have to look at the right part. One example is on page 66 it shows rods for both transmissions in the one drawing. HTH

Jim