New to crawlers and have some questions!

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

New to crawlers and have some questions!

Post by 440jacques » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello everyone, im from Maine and just purchased a 1959 JD 440 IC w/loader. its currently in running driving condition but needs some tlc and is missing little things here and there. I was wondering what the idler/bushing that is supposed to be under the center of the track on top that it rides on is called and if available anywhere. Mine are missing. Im also missing the clutch/brake adjustment access covers below the seat. Probably not good? I have my work cut out for me replacing bolts and such that have been replaced with junk or not looking so good from over the years. Also the loader frame moves when I push down with the bucket.. is it just loose from pins being worn? I did see some of the bolts that look like they are loose or junk that hold it together. thanks in advance for any replies. I want to learn as much as possible about these. im super excited to have it!
1959 JD 440IC track loader :mrgreen:

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: New to crawlers and have some questions!

Post by Jim B » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have manuals for it? Studying those will help you learn about your machine. Stan Disbrow has a post (about the 17th one down) in the FAQ Board that lists the different manuals for the different machines. You should at least get the Operator's Manual (OM)and the Service Manual (SM). You can get a Parts Catalog (PC) or you can use the free parts catalog on line at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... anguage=19 . You will want to have your crawler serial number in hand when looking for parts and the manuals. You will also want to look for a tag on the loader as they had their own model numbers , serial numbers, and parts catalogs. Lavoy Wilcox, who provides this site for us to use sells manuals and parts for these crawlers; along with doing repairs on them. You can reach him at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com .

It sounds like you are looking for the upper idlers. If you go to the on line parts catalog you can find them in the tracks section and see just what you are missing. If I remember right, someone else was looking for the same idlers a short time ago and Lavoy told them he had parts and complete assemblies. He might have the covers you need.

440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 440jacques » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:38 pm

I ordered a service manual online today immediately after I got the 440 home.. I found some used upper idlers on ebay but are way out of my price range at the moment. I have the shafts for them on the machine but they dont look great. Seems the idlers have been missing for a LONG time. Are they necessary if tracks are tight?

440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 440jacques » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:41 pm

I would just buy a parts machine but people around here are asking more than I paid for a working machine
lol

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm

In my opinion the top idlers are necessary to hold the track up where it belongs, they were put there for a reason. They carry the weight of the top run of chain and pads between the front idler and sprocket. When you get your manual I think you will find the track adjustment is based on the top idlers being in place, most track adjustments use the sag between either the top idler and sprocket or top idler and front idler to adjust the tracks. You would have to put a lot of force into the front idlers to properly remove the excess sag without them. To me that amount of force will accelerate the wear on the front idler bushings and shaft, as well as the final drives and chains. It is likely you will need shafts as well. It is doubtful yours are in any condition for bushings to run on, based on your comment about them not being great.

440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 440jacques » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Good information! I will be getting some as soon as I can afford them.. I dont plan on stressing the machine much at all until they are in place and everything else is adressed

440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 440jacques » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 am

Can anyone tell me the recommended hydraulic fluid I should be using for the 440? Its low and need to add some

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 am

The original specs for your 440IC likely called for 10W hydraulic for winter and 20W hydraulic for summer. Personally I use the Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Fluid (black pails) in my machines' hydraulic systems year round, as it is supposed to meet the current J20C John Deere spec. I stay away from the cheap stuff labelled 303 as there are a lot of questions as to just what it is and some states are banning oils labelled 303. This is my choice, others may differ in opinion of what to use. Oil questions can bring a lot of discussion and views.

What/Which manual(s) did you order?

440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 440jacques » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks I'll pick up a jug of that! I ordered the service manual for $36 on ebay. I also found the upper idler assemblys I need on ebay but they are $500 for a pair.. gonna make my own till I can afford the real thing

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 pm

If you get a reproduction parts manual off ebay it will show the correct sizes of all the bolts.

440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 440jacques » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:29 pm

I should get that for sure! Half the bolts on this thing look like they were replaced with whatever they could find.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Good evening 440jacques,

You posted the other day you had purchased a manual on line. Before you jump on getting another manual, you may already have it covered. Exactly what manual did you purchase on line? What is the publisher's name? Does it have a publication number?

The free to use John Deere parts catalogs on-line is a great place to get that kind of information (bolt sizes), as well a lot of other info regarding components. The link I posted the other day will get you to that site. You need JD parts catalog PC573 for your crawler and JD parts catalog PC577 for your model 91 loader (I saw it in your wanted ad).

The John Deere Service Manual for a spark ignition 440IC is # SM2023. The JD Operator's Manual is based on your crawler's serial number. JD Operator's Manual # OMT54458 for crawlers before s/n 448001. JD Operator's Manual # OMT54859 is for crawlers starting with s/n 448001 and after. The JD Operator's Manual for your loader is # OM C58-158. I my opinion the I&T manuals are not what you want and I have heard mixed thoughts on Jensales manuals. Remember Lavoy can help you out with quality manuals as well. This gives you the right JD numbers to look for if you are going to purchase used manuals from eBay or elsewhere on line. Just trying to help make sure you get the right manuals.

Get familiar with the parts catalogs, You can search to see what other machines (like 420, 430, 1010, 2010, etc.) might use the same parts as yours. It can improve you chances of finding used parts. I think those same upper idlers and shafts were used on several of those models. Hammond tractor can get some parts for the 440ICs as some of the parts were used on Ag tractors. It goes easier if you have the part number, rather than walking in and asking for this or that for a 440IC crawler. The Industrial (yellow) dealer is Nortrax, in case you didn't have that info. And you can always check with Lavoy, he might have a better deal even with freight. HTH

440jacques
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 440jacques » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 am

The manual I got was printed by peaceful creek and is manual #sm2023. I also have ordered the model 91 industrial loader operators manual that is supposed to have service and parts in it. As far as the idlers go I have a temp possibly semi permanent fix for that. I created my own out of blocks of hard nylon and used a steel bushing against the shaft. They will be greasable. As much as I'm going to use this rig they should hold up just fine and cost me $0 instead of $500

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:08 am

I have one of their service manuals for a different machine. They seem to do a pretty good job on their reprints from the couple I've seen.

Glad to hear you came up with something for top idlers, those should help take some strain off the front idlers and sprockets. There have been some 420 thru 1010 series parts crawlers around on CL. As you posted before some people think they are worth more than you can find a running one for. All you can do is keep watch, one will turn up, spring is coming. Enjoy your machine.