JD 440 IC Head Gasket

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
joetucker1992
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 440 IC Head Gasket

Post by joetucker1992 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:39 am

I just bought a JD 440IC and noticed it is pumping oil into the radiator. It looks like it would be the head gasket and I hope not a cracked block. Anything special that I need to know on the heads it looks pretty basic from the manual. Head bolts numbered and torched accordingly. Also anyone have one of these machines close to where I live in Payette, ID. I have a lot of questions since this is my first dozer but they are simple, really. I just want to do the work myself and of course no one has taken care of the poor girl.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: JD 440 IC Head Gasket

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 am

Get a parts and service manual, they are invaluable. Process is not difficult at all. I would have the head magnafluxed to check for cracks, and consider rebuilding and having it planed it while it is off. Always use one of the copper spray products when reinstalling the head, torque to spec and you should be good to go assuming that is the problem.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:05 pm

welcome to the group...use the search button and read all that is posted on the jd440s, are numerous, also email Lavoy with password and login for the pic server..that is entered thru the Question and Answer forum at bottom of board index..so you can post pictures of progress and problems.

also if you add your location in your profile it shows up in your posts

joetucker1992
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joetucker1992 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks for the tips. I too the head off in about an hour. Looks like it was the head gasket as I ran it hard for a few hours and no oil in the coolant. Now onto some other minor issues.