Couple technical Questions.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
joetucker1992
MC crawler
MC crawler

Couple technical Questions.

Post by joetucker1992 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:18 pm

1.I have the 1959 IC JD 440 dozer. I can't seem to figure out the throttle adjustment. It has the spring at the dash with washers but when I put it back together after taking it apart the throttle wants to stay half open instead of on idle. Its like I need to rotate the spring? Don't understand it.

2.I also bought a new voltage regulator and hooked it up like it was with new gauge and it doesn't work. Looked at my manual and it is wired correctly and making all contacts. The generator I had tested and it works fine. What else can I check? Fuse is good too.

I almost have all the major kinks worked out on this thing. I am hoping to paint it this fall but trying to do all the minor repair things that didn't work on it. Nice little machine I really like it so far.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Couple technical Questions.

Post by Jim B » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:17 pm

I think you missed where you intended to post this as your other posts have all been on the early model forum.

What manual(s) do you have you are looking at, John Deere or aftermarket? Publication numbers if they have them, so some one might be able to point you to where to look if they have the same manual(s).

Is you 440IC still 6 volt positive ground or has it been converted to 12 volt negative ground? Check the regulator to see that it is grounded, some of them need a separate ground strap due to the insulated mounting. Have you flashed/polarized the generator since you reinstalled it and the installed the new regulator? Did you have the regulator tested with the generator?

You likely have something out of place in the linkage from taking it off to work on the head. Check it from one end to the other against the manual, the problem might not be at the dash. Parts catalog and service manual both may help as views shown might be different.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Couple technical Questions.

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:39 pm

I moved it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com