440 icd steering adjustment

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jirving43
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 icd steering adjustment

Post by Jirving43 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 am

So first of yes I have the book... That being said the book sucks.. Can someone please send me a picture via email or text as to the mythical place that the screwdriver goes to put the throw out bearing in correct position to then tighten the 1/2" bolt on the throw out bearing adjuster.. I've wedged screwdrivers EVERYWHERE and haven't seen any clutch linkage movement only brake movement. I'm pretty sure my clutches and brakes are still good. The brake bands from what I can see with light and inspection mirror look good. The x shaped nut that sticks up with bolt on center for brake band adjustment is flush with bolt. Throw out adjustment bolt is at half way point on the 45 degree adjustment grove. When I track it back and forth when I pull on either stick I can feel either side disengage and it does turn just really slow and if you yard back hard on the stick it slowly turns but doesn't lock up a track like it should.. I'm more concerned with adjusting the steering clutch bearing engagement first before I start fine tuning the brakes. Please someone send me the screwdriver placement picture via email at Jirving43@gmail.com or text it to me at 907-355-2943..

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 440 icd steering adjustment

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 am

Screwdriver placement is not in the book, not a factory procedure. Do the adjustment exactly as the book says, it will work unless there I an underlying problem that needs to be fixed.
When you say where the adjustments are doesn't mean anything so to speak. There is no standard position to any of them they vary depending on the individual machine.
Off the cuff, your brake band adjustment seems way off to me, the nut is seldom flush.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jirving43
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jirving43 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 am

I guess the screwdriver pic figure 170-5-3 is for that top brake band adjustment. I had watched a video for adjustment on a 450 and thought they were the same.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:28 am

You say it turns slowly: Does the engine labor more when you're pulling vigorously on the steering levers? If not, I'd guess you're clutches aren't releasing completely and the brakes aren't applying. Adjust the clutch first, making sure it's releasing, then adjust the brake.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford