420c 5 roller undercarriage specifications

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Agmcj7
MC crawler
MC crawler

420c 5 roller undercarriage specifications

Post by Agmcj7 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:54 am

First off I should say that I’m new to the crawler world but excited to be part of the club. I recently purchased a 420c 5 roller and am now going over the undercarriage. The three center bottom rollers on the left track are wore through, the flanges are breaking off... yup shot. The two on each end are in good shape to my eye, a little bit of play maybe 16th to 8th of an inch. I’ve been trying to read up on this forum online and my manuals to find the specs and measurements on these tracks chains, sprockets, rollers, pins and I haven’t had any luck. I guess I’ve done enough research to know that advice is gonna be my best friend and am looking for guidance on what I need to know to get this old girl back up putting around.
Ashton Messner- Reinholds, Pa. JD 420c Loader 5 roller/440IC Dozer 64

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 420c 5 roller undercarriage specifications

Post by notmeu » Thu May 23, 2019 6:56 pm

I use to sell undercarriage wear gauges for the 420 but I am all sold out. Regardless it sounds like you will need new rollers. The only option is to buy new 350 rollers or find some used ones off of a 420,430,1010 or 2010.
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri May 24, 2019 4:41 am

Hi,

Yes, the 420 u/c bits are pretty much all gone. The thing to do now is use JD350 as replacement. Note that it has a longer pitch. So, if you wind up needing to use 350 rails, you cut the teeth off the 420 sprocket and weld on a 350 ring sprocket.

All the u/c wears against each other, so if your rollers are that worn you might need to change the rails as well. But, then someone may well have changed the rails already. All sorts of things go on over the years.

U/C is the thing most different on a crawler, of course. This document will help you. It is a Dresser doc, but it covers it. All our old Deere stuff has unsealed and unlubricated rails (chains) so that part won't apply. Meaning our stuff wears faster.

http://www.tpaktopc.net/files/undrcarguide.pdf

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 24, 2019 8:37 am

Pitch is the same, bushing diameter is larger.
You are better off putting on 10 new 350 rollers, then you are pretty much done forever as far as rollers.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Agmcj7
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Agmcj7 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks fellas, I had been reading on here that 350 rollers can be substituted on the 40-440c models and found some options online $140- and up. I’ve still got Aprox 7/8” on my rails. I believe Lavoy had mentioned some where on here that at half inch it’s time to start thinking other options. Correct me if I’m wrong there. And thanks for the link to that file. I had found it a few days ago on this forum and it’s very informative. I’m sure it’s gonna take a few reads to cement in my mind. What started this tearing into of the crawler was my left track sporadically locking up as if the brake was being applied. It’s no joking matter when it happens half way into the shop with my other baby parked in the bay beside. The clutches and brakes were done in March of 19 “professionally” along with track adjustment. It came with a receipt of the work done so I thought problems were something for other crawler owners;) I stand corrected. I’m hoping that it’s an adjustment issue and nothing more but I’m rarely that lucky case in point.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Fri May 24, 2019 11:45 am

When the left track does that what do you have to do to "unlock" it?
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Agmcj7
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Agmcj7 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Pray about it! Haha, it did it twice when I started to make my way to the shop when I started to feel the steering acting up. It would whine some making a hard turn and I figured I’d better check it out before something goes bang. Both times I went back and forth in 2nd and R a few times then she would straighten out for me. I just got her last weekend so I don’t know the ins and outs yet, so it’s little tough knowing what’s acceptable behavior.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Fri May 24, 2019 5:15 pm

That is not acceptable behavior. Sounds like either the pinion or brake on that side has a problem. Don't use it until you pull the final and check.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Pull the bottom cover on the final, guessing you will find small metal pieces resembling bearings or teeth in there.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Agmcj7
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Agmcj7 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:39 pm

I pulled the finals bottom cover and found nothing besides a little bit of sediment but no metal glittering in the oil or metal bits at the bottom of the pan. Oil looked and smelled right. Gear teeth looked nice and crisp, the occasional minuscule chip but for being 60 years old I’d say it’s looking a lot better than I expected. I’ve got it up on jack stands and had the motor turning the tracks at speed, no issues there. No binding or hoping around or showing signs of wanting to lock up. The left sides clutch/brake is out of adjustment, I have the the inspection cover off and the clutch does not disengage till the lever is deep towards the seat. A considerable longer distance of travel than the right sides lever which seems to be close to right, with the lever at full pull still angling slightly forward. Still scratching my head on what would be causing it to hang up like it does. The couple times it happened going the couple hundred feet from where I was working to the shop it seemed like the brake would lodge in the clamped tight position then the back and forth motion would free it up. I can’t imagine it’s a rust build up issue or anything like that with the clutch and brake being just rebuilt in March, and everything looks pretty clean with no signs of obvious moisture from the vantage point of the inspection cover.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:59 am

my jd440ic steering brake kinda acted like that, just afterihad adjusted them, went back and re-adjusted and have been fine since. actually bogged down the engine, though track did not lock up like yours. they seem kinda finicky and want adjusted exactly in order as per book

Agmcj7
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Agmcj7 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Well I got the left steering adjusted like the book said best as I can tell. With the crawler running up on jack stands I was able to watch as the clutch disengaged the tracks as the brake was applied. Pretty neat stuff. I haven’t had any unintentional lock up yet on the jack stands but I’ll let y’all know when I get the rest of the track back together and hit the dirt. I’m also gonna try to get a hold of Deere country here in Adamstown pa and see if they have info for 420c track new/wear specs. I’d just be interested to know what I’ve got. If I get it figured out I’ll post it up.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm

In case you didn't come across this, here is a link to a document that gives dimensions and percentage for chain pin and bushing wear over 4 links. Once your tracks are on you can make that measurement as described in the Dresser document.

https://sites.google.com/site/crawlerhe ... dbushings

Agmcj7
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Agmcj7 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:28 am

Thanks, that’s great info!

Agmcj7
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Agmcj7 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:03 pm

Well I got her back together, new 350 rollers, regular link pin welded in for the master and 100 bucks in nuts and bolts all said and done. I got lucky doing some snooping at the local buva shops and found a fella that has been working with the undercarriages of these things since he was a boy. It’s good knowing where to go local once I’m driven crazy by this thing:) In the mean while she must have picked up a little dirt in the carb, running rich and backfireing like crazy but it seems to have worked itself through till the next time but the inline filter will hopefully keep anything else out. The starter,rebuilt in March,must have taken a que from the carb and decided to also grab my wallet and take it for a spin. But either way now that all that’s taken care of I’m back to why I brought her into my shop in the first place. Left track still not cooperating. I don’t believe it’s the brake holding up anymore it just seems like when you grab the right stick the left track won’t power through. Almost like the clutches are slipping? She drives straight back and front, makes nice clean left hand turns but forget about turning right on any kind of incline. Any ideas on what to tear into next? I should make note that on the foot clutch release if you ease into it the the right clutch does grab first. I was thinking that the right side probably needs adjusting yet but maybe it all still is in my adjustment of the left side?