New - Just bought a JD 430

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BURW
MC crawler
MC crawler

New - Just bought a JD 430

Post by BURW » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 am

Hi Group. Just bought a 430 Crawler, in fairly good working order. I grew up with my dad having one, so it brings back many memories when I start it and drive it around.

When she's under strain she cuts out. I replaced the spark plugs. I put in a new fuel filter (bowl is missing, it has an inline fuel filter). I traced all fuels lines to the carb and it has good fuel flow to the carb. Took the carb off, cleaned it.

It appears that after the engine burns the initial fuel in the carburetor, the bowl in the carb has trouble filling up again to handle non-idle strain (pushing). That's my theory anyway. Interested in comments on this.

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1 ... 7aprTuuKxg

Thanks for the add!

Bill
430 John Deere Crawler

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New - Just bought a JD 430

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 am

Still is either a fuel flow issue, or a carb problem.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Others can chime in with their thoughts on this but in-line filters may cause fuel volume problems with gravity feed systems. They are designed for pressure systems (fuel pump). I know that this a common cause of fuel starvation on Model T Fords that have had an inline filter installed. Another common cause of fuel starvation is a plugged vent in the gas cap or somebody inadvertently installing a non-vented (rad) cap. Worth checking anyway. Just test run without the cap on and see if you still have a problem under load. Good luck!
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:58 pm

i have jd440ic and i do have an inline filter on mine, these old machines just don't have the room to put filter n a 'good' place, mine works great keeping the loose rust out of the carb, have had it on now for a couple or3 years and 'do not have' a fuel flow problem. it is the cheapest and smallest one on the rack..and actually is piped lower than the carb bowl, only 2 times does it have a problem--empty tank..oops, and when working tilted enough to move gas away from the line to carb. would work better with lines at front and back..

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Two things to check. Did you remove the input elbow from the carburetor and clean that screen? And did you open the load jet on the carb one quarter turn to see if that makes a difference?
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 am

Maybe the float is adjusted wrong and not letting fuel into the bowl soon enough which, would starve the engine.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

BURW
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BURW » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:45 am

THANKS EVERYBODY!!

I stripped the carb apart again, now that I understand the system. Because there was good fuel flow to the carb, I concentrated on the innards of the carburetor itself this time. I noticed that the input elbow had no screen screen in it. Removed for some reason. Blowing into it was a no go. So I took the float and needle assembly apart (probably calling those items by the wrong name?) and cleaned it up. I also dropped the float a 1/16" giving the needle more open room. A tooth pick worked good as a gentle scrubber in the inlet where the needle goes. Put it all back together and while manually operating the float I could control the flow of air from my mouth. Felt like it would work, so I put it back on and SHE RUNS PERFECT NOW. Great power and the govenor kicks in nice.

Pushed off 1 tandem load of dirt, and noticed that the front right idler had way too much wear to continue. That's the next project. Great tractor!
430 John Deere Crawler