6 volt starter problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

6 volt starter problem

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:55 pm

well folks someone here aught to know...my 6 volt starter every once in while seems to have a dead spot or maybe my bendix aint kicking back properly.
is dead stick like no juice and i know battery up and good. usually i have to pull starter and spin by hand and play with bendix, put er back in and will start her up for another long time, sometimes a year or more...starter has been gone thru at shop. been running all day and i stalled it and it finally kicked over started ran couple seconds quit and now dead....

will bendix give no juice symptom or is that simply dead spot?

thanks

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 6 volt starter problem

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 am

Maybe solenoid problem or bad wire that, when moved a little, affects whether it works or not.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:17 am

Hi dtoots1,

It sounds electrical to me unless your starter is jamming into the flywheel and locking it up. Is your starter still the original style with the pull rod to a switch on the starter? If so check the contacts in the switch and on the starter. Its and easy check to start with. Those get eroded from the arcing when they contact and can act up intermittently. Try cleaning the contacts on both. If they are too badly eroded you may need to replace the switch and starter stud. Wear in the linkage can affect getting a full throw and contact as well.

Some folks have had the starter stud changed to a threaded stud when they had trouble and added a remote mounted electric solenoid in place of the mechanical switch , when they had this problem.

You might have a dead spot in the starter, but I would start with the switch and starter contacts.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:19 am

As usual n the blamed thing....
first of all i actually had ma deere electric shop check her out about 2 years ago, they actually did replace that copper stud/contact and cleaned her up...would you believe $5.00????? and yes that was the problem then...
Now, i just pulled it this morning, pulled the 1 countersunk mounting pin, played around turning armature by hand and bendix a bit, hooked up jumper cables, found out 1 leg of cable no good, then cleaned all contacts made sure stud locking nut tite then switched to the good cable and starter kicks over, reinstall and kicks right over.
Now that left me still not knowing why, can only assume bad contact at some point...the counter sunk mounting bolt does accumulate some rust which i cleaned and of course all the contact points including battery posts.

all good until next adventure!!!

So just for info, if a dead spot in starter...can that be fixed or require another starter? ocourse aint going to find another armature or field if that where dead spot is either..

thanks guys

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Glad you were able to fix your starter. I've had to take apart my switch twice over the years. As you found, the copper contacts will gall and/ or misalign. That switch was probably my first repair on my machine, and one of the least expensive :D . Best wishes. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch